Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DH is leaving!! Help please!

Dh is seriously considering getting his CDL.  He has always been in transportation, but the money is much better with a CDL endorsement and doing over-the-road freight hauling.  We have always had such a close bond that I am worrying how I will cope without him around.  He has a great opportunity: an offer with a reputable company to receive paid OTR training, with the stipulation that he works for the company for an additional 7 months after said training.  Even during training, his pay is almost identical to his current income, and within a year it would be almost double.  I understand what a great financial opportunity this is for him and our family as a whole, but I'm afraid I'm going to be miserable without him :(

Help please!!  Advice, tips, stories, suggestions---all is appreciated!!!  I will be no good to my family if all I do is miss him...

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Sweetie, I know this is  hard, but this is the time when you have to woman up and be the strong woman you know you are.   Even if you are crying inside, you have to look him in the eye and tell him you love him, and support him and you know it will be a difficult transition, but you will be here when he gets home.  The extra income will allow you to make your house into a home he will be proud to come home to.  You will learn to stand strong so he will be confident to leave home to make the money.   

For 5 years straight my DH was home mostly on weekends only.  It was not easy, especially since I was a SAHM with 2 children in elementary school.  but we made it and you will too.  Don't give him any reason to doubt you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Nope!!! Wouldnt let it happen!!! My bffs dh got his cdl they were married for 12 years now they are divorced due to him cheating n pickin up whores...good luck
punkinsmom0106
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I'm not a big nic-nac person lol. I'm just worried about not being with my best friend :(

Quoting proudGBmama:

My dad was an otr driver his wife depends on him for everything she's severely disabled they are fine it's exciting he brought back little trinkets from every truck stop he went to they made a game of it they're stronger now than before

DannieLou
by Mockingjay on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Talk a lot. Not just about bad things, small talk too. When he is home, don't make it all about bad things. Enjoy his time at home. GL
DH almost went back over the road, he was a driver before I met him. Thankfully he got a job offer that kept him out of the truck.
ivy801
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:29 AM
I told hubby to do this before daughter was born, he refuse telling me he miss id to much. Even now the oppurtinity is there but he feels the same. Can you go along once he has his lisence?
punkinsmom0106
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:29 AM

I'm not sure what kind of relationship you're in, but my DH is my best friend and my lover. To go from enjoying each other daily to going a week between seeing each other at all is a drastic change.  Perhaps we differ in our perception of an ideal relationship, idk

Quoting Anonymous:

Obviously you will miss him, but really you think you're going to fall apart over this? 

Wow, how will you manage when something really serious happens?

i meanit's not like you're about to be homeless or something!

Put your big girl panties on and learn how to be ambit more independent! 

Moe1521
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:30 AM
My Dh is military, I know that is a lot different than being an OTR trucker.

But when DH is gone, I keep myself busy so I don't have much time to sit and think about missing him. Find something you enjoy...

Reading, crafts, art, writing. Those things help me...

(((Hugs)))

hope everything works out for you and your family.
allornone
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:30 AM

No thanks. My dd's are very close with their dad. He wouldn't like it either. Maybe if they were smaller.

punkinsmom0106
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:31 AM

What would you do in his absence?  I'm thinking about taking a class or 2, plus expanding the garden a bit further.

Quoting tifferie:

We have been through the military and moves for jobs. While it would be rough, I know we would make due.

punkinsmom0106
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I definitely trust him; that's not the issue.  I just don't want to feel lonely every night missing him.  I want to support him, and for the most part I have been, but I've also been honest that I'm strugglng to imagine our lives in that kind of arrangement.  2 years ago I had to be blunt and tell him that I needed him home.  I'm a better mother when I can at least work part time lol.  Now, my youngest is entering kindergarden, and I feel like it's his time to do the things I've already asked him to put off once.  I just need to figure out how to fill that void :/

Quoting jamamama00:

Just think of it as a temporary problem that will open a lot of doors. If he works there for a few years, he will be able to find another job (if he has a good record) or you can save the extra money and maybe he can start his own business. You have the rest of your life to spend time together, right? I think its a good idea as long as you have mutual trust and respect.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured