Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DH is leaving!! Help please!

Dh is seriously considering getting his CDL.  He has always been in transportation, but the money is much better with a CDL endorsement and doing over-the-road freight hauling.  We have always had such a close bond that I am worrying how I will cope without him around.  He has a great opportunity: an offer with a reputable company to receive paid OTR training, with the stipulation that he works for the company for an additional 7 months after said training.  Even during training, his pay is almost identical to his current income, and within a year it would be almost double.  I understand what a great financial opportunity this is for him and our family as a whole, but I'm afraid I'm going to be miserable without him :(

Help please!!  Advice, tips, stories, suggestions---all is appreciated!!!  I will be no good to my family if all I do is miss him...

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Replies (61-70):
ammowife11
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Military wife here. It's very hard to be away from your husband but it IS doable. It just takes dedication, commitment, and patience. And lots and lots of phone calls. Nowadays with smart phones, Facetime or Tango can make distance less of an issue.

jen4244
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:09 PM
If it's something that he really wants to do be supportive. If it is something that the two of you can do without and you really don't want him to go then let him know. I was in a long distance relationship with my husband for five years before we got married. I hated every moment of it, but I hung there until november 2012 when we married. If I had to do it again trust me I would not.
Jessy76
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Just look at it as a short term solution to a long term goal. With a year or so of OTR experience he will be more qualified for companies that are looking for local CDL drivers like the company I work for. This could be a great oppertunity for your whole family. Plus as the saying goes absence makes the heart grow fonder. Think of all the hot steamy nights you will have each time he comes home from being on the road.

lulalacroix
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

My dh and I decided to not live this way.  The money just isn't worth the distance in our relationship.

AprilDJC
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM
My ex was military. Gone a lot. It gets easier over time. I was a SAHM most of the time because he was gone so much. When we moved to Spain, he went on 2 week training to San Antonio, tx right after we got to Spain. I knew not a single person, lived in the hotel while waiting on our household goods to arrive, drove a rental car around a base and town I was unfamiliar with all while dealing with my 3 & 4 year old boys lol. It definitely makes you find out who you really are as an individual, having to do everything by yourself. I wouldn't change my experiences for anything.
kayelynnesmommy
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM
My dh is a trucker and has been for the last 5years it doesnt bother me anymore in reality it bothers me more for him to be home. I have the kids in a routine and its not for anything but the fact that i have to have one to be able to do everything i need to get done in a days time. its WAY more expensive for them to eat than you think. its not for everyone but its doable. you need to prepare yourself though for how you will handle it when he misses a birthday, anniversary or christmas and not just think o that wont happen because i promise it does and has and will again.
proudGBmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM
They do shot glasses like he went to Alabama the game there was try to find a shot glass that says Alabama with an animal on it. You'll survive you will find things to occupy yourself and he will work and come home it's not that bad find a game to play while he's on the road like my parents did it'll be fine

Quoting punkinsmom0106:

I'm not a big nic-nac person lol. I'm just worried about not being with my best friend :(

Quoting proudGBmama:

My dad was an otr driver his wife depends on him for everything she's severely disabled they are fine it's exciting he brought back little trinkets from every truck stop he went to they made a game of it they're stronger now than before

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsJamesPalmer
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Wow.  I would never never never recommend OTR for a family man.  No matter what the company tells you there is never enough home time.  Good luck.

Kaseykahneno1
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I wouldn't want my DH doing it but we've also been thru military and been separated for months.

Quoting tifferie:

We have been through the military and moves for jobs. While it would be rough, I know we would make due.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM

MY SO has a degree in accounting, and it got him no where, ( we are not a young couple ) so he started checking in with different trucking companys and found out there is some good money in over the road trcuk driving. so he went through training, got his CDL and his now training for 4 months, ( teams drives with his trainer ) and so far the money has been really good. and he has been to California to New York. and Texas just to name a few.. 

I do work but right now I am on medical leave, have been off of work for a year, I am having knee surgery Monday, and hope to go back to work soon. but now that SO is on the road in about a year he wants me to get my CDL, so we can team drive, and yes I am considering it. 

As the saying goes, time apart makes the heart grow fonder, and I do believe that, Sure I miss him every day, but I have adjusted just fine being alone. ( we have no kids at home ) we just have the dog and kitty.. 

I can't wait till he gets on his own and I can start going with him.. 

I say let him go for it !   Good Luck !!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured