Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What would you do if your child's friends Update d

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 325 Replies
2 moms liked this
Was always asking if he/she could eat dinner at your house. If you said no and the child ask why what would you say? If he/she said they would share your child's plate what would you do or say?

Update: The girl and her sister are 8 and 2. The 8 year old plays with my dd who is almost 3. She just ate at my house a couple of days ago. One day she came over at 11am and didn't leave until 8pm. I don't mind feeding her once a week. Everyday though is a bit much. We only buy a certain amount of food each week. With 2 extra people the food goes fast. I know both parents don't work, I know they are on pa. We give them clothes and money if we have it. They even come over for ciggs if they run out. The 8 year old doesn't listen half the time. She is rude and never says please and thank you. I let her in because I feel bad for them. I'm just tired of it now
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM
11 moms liked this

I would tell them that their question and response was innapropriate. When some one tells you no, not to today...you say 'ok, thank you anyway.' Then I would ask them why they wanted to stay so bad that they were willing to share a plate of food.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:58 AM
How old is this kid?
lovemyhoney19
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:58 AM
18 moms liked this
I would wonder if they are eating at home. I wouldn't say much to the child. If it got out of control I would mention It to the parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Quoting iamcafemom83:

How old is this kid?

Anonandon
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM

This - my daughter's isn't even 3, so coming from a kid that small, I don't consider it rude. 

Quoting iamcafemom83:

How old is this kid?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

That seems to happen here a lot. I just tell them that I didn't prepare enough for them to eat with us and that they need to go home and eat with their family.

I have this child who questions everything I say why can't my dd come out and play until 6 or can I spend the night or why can't you come over.

I have even talked to this parent and told her we eat at 5 and I would prefer her child not to be over when we are eating. Sometimes we just would eat in front of her I know not nice but I think they make as much as we do.

christina0607
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM
9 moms liked this

If I said no and they asked why I would tell them this is our family time.

It wouldn't even get as far as them saying they would share anything. It wouldn't be a discussion. 

Anonandon
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM
4 moms liked this

Ok, that's rude.  An 8 year old knows better.  I'd tell them no, and when they asked why, I'd tell them because they have a house and family to eat with and send them home.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting iamcafemom83:

How old is this kid?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM
It would be helpful to know the age of the child.

I would talk to the parent

Tell them that you are having this issue
TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:01 AM
57 moms liked this

I would assume that any child asking to eat dinner at my house probably will not be getting dinner at their own and will gladly let them stay.  I can always throw together a little bit more noodles or rice to even things ut if there isn't a lot of something else on the table.  One of my youngest daughter's friends has had dinner here many times because we know she would be getting little to nothing if we sent her home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)