Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My relatives refuse to accommodate my toddler.

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM
  • 797 Replies
12 moms liked this

Edit: I just noticed that this is a top post and they have a photo of a baby hand grabbing a beer bottle on the link. Two thoughts: awesome and where did they get this photo??? lol

Over the long 4th of July weekend I vacationed with some relatives (not at their house, it was a rental property). It was great seeing them, but I was ready to strangle everyone over how little they accomodated by toddler. I have a 24 month old (blah blah blah, there's a lot of maturing that happens between 2-3 the number of months is relevant) and wasn't going to bring her but they insisted that they hadn't seen her yet and were dying to see her so I caved. She's very spirited and adorable, but it's a lot of work to take care of a child that age under normal circumstances, even more when the place you're staying isn't baby proofed and the people you're staying with leave all their crap around.

I mean, you'd think they had never met a toddler before, and most of these people have kids! Like for instance, they'd leave their expensive electronics all over the place. Like, I would find a laptop sitting on a coffee table with  a big glass of soda next to it. Really? You expected this to end well? She grabbed someone's camera and erased a couple pictures. All weekend with the electronics. I'd put them up on the mantle and say "I put your phone up so she wouldn't damage it" and then an hour later, they'd leave it out again. And I know these people would expect me to pay to replace it if was damaged.

Or they'd leave a half eaten plate of spaghetti sitting on the table. Then I spent 20 minutes scrubbing marinara out of the carpet. Or they'd leave their purse sitting open with their medicines in it. I wrestled several pill bottles away from her. Someone gave her a pen and paper at one point and then I had to try to get all the pen marks off  her clothes and the table. People left beer cans and wine glasses and wine bottles everywhere. She drinks every drink she comes across!!! Thanks guys, I wanted my 2 year old to spend the weekend drunk. And the wine glasses are a risky thing anyway because they break super easy. 

I would put her to bed and say "Okay, everyone has to either go outside or keep their voices low for like 20 minutes so she can fall asleep, then you can talk as loud as you want". It would last about 2 minutes before the volume was where it was before (which was very loud. They just kept screaming about politics). At one point, my aunt went and got her back up and said "She wasn't tired!" And I wanted to scream "She was tired!!! You guys won't keep your goddam voices down!!!"

I realize not all this is super obvious to people who either had low maintenence kids themselves (apparently they exist...) or have never had kids, but after I've hinted for you to keep your stuff out of arms reach it just seems rude to not do it. I'm doing the best I can but toddlers a lot of work! Help me out a bit!

Am I being ridiculous for being annoyed at this stuff?

Some of the more hilarious sentiments in this thread:

"Your child doesn't know not to drink out of beer bottles???"

(...really? This is a lesson people teach their babies? You have beer bottles around your babies enough for them to learn what a beer bottle looks like??? Eek!)

"The terrible twos don't exist. My kids never went through the terrible twos. It's all in the parenting"

(Bahahahaha. I'd say that a sanctimommy entry...)

"If I say not to touch things my son doesn't touch them" and then the same poster, like ten minutes later says:

"He does get into things and test limits (he's two after all!), but I use it as a teaching moment"

(lol, so what is it? Is he perfect or does he get into things and you're still teaching him not to???)

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hatinnd
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:07 AM
22 moms liked this

They were stupid. I would have left everything where they put it and let them find out for themselves.

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM
22 moms liked this

Yeah. It isn't their job to accommodate your child. Ever.

I *do*, however, understand that your family insisted you should bring her, but when they insisted you should have told them what that meant, and given them a chance to retract. It's quite possible that their toddler years are so far behind them that they aren't used to it any more; regardless, not their job. If you knew there were going to be tons of adults, no other small children, I would assume that no matter how much they insisted, it wasn't a kid friendly event.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Teeshann
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM
20 moms liked this
When we go to someone elses home I watch my baby like a hawk. Frustrating that after you asked they didn't seem to care. I'd have left early rather than deal with the stress.
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this

And then it would have been mom's responsibility to replace broken or damaged items.

Quoting hatinnd:

They were stupid. I would have left everything where they put it and let them find out for themselves.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:09 AM
22 moms liked this

Maybe now that she's 2 it's time to start teaching she can't touch everything.

Even with my own kids I didn't put everything away all the time. We just taught them young that not everything was for them. 

It's always harder for them mom when she takes her kids to other places, but that doesn't mean everyone needed to tip toe around your child. 

I think you need to realize that life will go on around you and your child and it's up to you to adapt, not eveyone else. 

lovemyhoney19
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM
3 moms liked this
I understand both sides
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HousewifeNina
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM
5 moms liked this
This is why I hated to travel when my kids were 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM
6 moms liked this

If you knew your child needs 20 mins or more of quiet to get to sleep, you shouldn't have caved. Sorry but that seems absurd to me. The drinks, food left around is nasty. The electronics yes children are curious but the minute she got them they should have been removed from her.  Now you know and hopefully stay in a hotel if you go visit again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM
8 moms liked this
Why didn't u just bring a playpen? Easy and safe
June3May4June3
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Yeah. It isn't their job to accommodate your child. Ever.

I *do*, however, understand that your family insisted you should bring her, but when they insisted you should have told them what that meant, and given them a chance to retract. It's quite possible that their toddler years are so far behind them that they aren't used to it any more; regardless, not their job. If you knew there were going to be tons of adults, no other small children, I would assume that no matter how much they insisted, it wasn't a kid friendly event.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)