Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My relatives refuse to accommodate my toddler.

Posted by   + Show Post

Edit: I just noticed that this is a top post and they have a photo of a baby hand grabbing a beer bottle on the link. Two thoughts: awesome and where did they get this photo??? lol

Over the long 4th of July weekend I vacationed with some relatives (not at their house, it was a rental property). It was great seeing them, but I was ready to strangle everyone over how little they accomodated by toddler. I have a 24 month old (blah blah blah, there's a lot of maturing that happens between 2-3 the number of months is relevant) and wasn't going to bring her but they insisted that they hadn't seen her yet and were dying to see her so I caved. She's very spirited and adorable, but it's a lot of work to take care of a child that age under normal circumstances, even more when the place you're staying isn't baby proofed and the people you're staying with leave all their crap around.

I mean, you'd think they had never met a toddler before, and most of these people have kids! Like for instance, they'd leave their expensive electronics all over the place. Like, I would find a laptop sitting on a coffee table with  a big glass of soda next to it. Really? You expected this to end well? She grabbed someone's camera and erased a couple pictures. All weekend with the electronics. I'd put them up on the mantle and say "I put your phone up so she wouldn't damage it" and then an hour later, they'd leave it out again. And I know these people would expect me to pay to replace it if was damaged.

Or they'd leave a half eaten plate of spaghetti sitting on the table. Then I spent 20 minutes scrubbing marinara out of the carpet. Or they'd leave their purse sitting open with their medicines in it. I wrestled several pill bottles away from her. Someone gave her a pen and paper at one point and then I had to try to get all the pen marks off  her clothes and the table. People left beer cans and wine glasses and wine bottles everywhere. She drinks every drink she comes across!!! Thanks guys, I wanted my 2 year old to spend the weekend drunk. And the wine glasses are a risky thing anyway because they break super easy. 

I would put her to bed and say "Okay, everyone has to either go outside or keep their voices low for like 20 minutes so she can fall asleep, then you can talk as loud as you want". It would last about 2 minutes before the volume was where it was before (which was very loud. They just kept screaming about politics). At one point, my aunt went and got her back up and said "She wasn't tired!" And I wanted to scream "She was tired!!! You guys won't keep your goddam voices down!!!"

I realize not all this is super obvious to people who either had low maintenence kids themselves (apparently they exist...) or have never had kids, but after I've hinted for you to keep your stuff out of arms reach it just seems rude to not do it. I'm doing the best I can but toddlers a lot of work! Help me out a bit!

Am I being ridiculous for being annoyed at this stuff?

Some of the more hilarious sentiments in this thread:

"Your child doesn't know not to drink out of beer bottles???"

(...really? This is a lesson people teach their babies? You have beer bottles around your babies enough for them to learn what a beer bottle looks like??? Eek!)

"The terrible twos don't exist. My kids never went through the terrible twos. It's all in the parenting"

(Bahahahaha. I'd say that a sanctimommy entry...)

"If I say not to touch things my son doesn't touch them" and then the same poster, like ten minutes later says:

"He does get into things and test limits (he's two after all!), but I use it as a teaching moment"

(lol, so what is it? Is he perfect or does he get into things and you're still teaching him not to???)

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Replies (31-40):
Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Really, at 2?

I could see under 15 months but not 2. At that age she should know better. No one has to do anything for your kid. You are being pretty ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this
Hahahaha, I am just loving posts like these! Oh, the mothers that have it down pat!

Quoting Anonymous:

Time to teach her not to touch stuff...I never put my stuff away for one of my kids instead I taught them not to touch so that way at other people's homes they already knew better...every time she would have grabbed a item she wasn't allowed to touch I would have corrected her with a firm no do not touch the second time would have been a time out

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM
10 moms liked this

It never ceases to amaze me that the women on here all had PERFECTLY obedient children from day 1.  I would have been irritated and I believe rightfully so.  I don't expect people to move everything out of the reach of my children.  I also don't expect you to leave booze and pills all over the place when you know there is a child around.  Don't invite my child to an event and then act like she is an inconvenience.  It is hard work chasing after a 2 year old all of the time and I should not have to be constantly stopping her from touching something that should not be out in the first place.  Put your crap away.

cLanief
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Lmfao you should just chill. We don't baby proof in my house. We teach don't touch other peoples stuff. It sucks keeping an eye on them around other peoples crap but at someone else's house.. its not their responsibility to baby proof everything for your grabby child. Some people could have been a bit smarter and not left shit down... but with a 2yo around you take some risks. They'll get in to anything.
xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Its your responsibility to watch her. We spent a week in my aunts non-baby-proofed home. I just kept an eye on my son. My only complaint was her smoking with the door open. Yes- her home, but I'd rather not have smoke around my son. It was the only thing I was adament about.
Marti123
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Yea, i know, and what 2 year old can not climb out? Do their children have legs & arms?

Quoting Indiemom880:

Leave her all her waking hours in the playpen? Do people do this....?

We had a play yard when she was younger for when I'd have to do something like go to the bathroom or cook, but she screamed the whole time. It just seems kinda mean to have them in the play pen for an extended period of time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
At 2, some of the things you mentioned, she should know better than that to do
msb64
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Our daugther was (and still is) extremely low maintenance.  We could just hand her a few toys and she would be entertained and she never went after anything after being told not to.  My husband and I thought we were superior parents until our son was born.  "Spirited" doesn't even come close to describing him!

Quoting susan115:

My sister In law has 1 child that is low maintence, probably will be like that her whole life.  But, her sister and rest, very spirited.  So, only 1 mom I know gets a "small" break with a kid.  Lucky.  Mine are very spirited.

Holland04
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM

My favorite saying for my son even before age 2. That's for looking not for touching (in the beginning you will probably sound like a broken record). Also you really should teach your daughter early not to drink out of every cup she comes across.

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I agree with this, the only thing that would have upset me was the open alcohol containers everywhere. That's the only thing I feel they should have accommodated. Even my wild 23 month old can be kept from touching things.

Quoting cLanief:

Lmfao you should just chill. We don't baby proof in my house. We teach don't touch other peoples stuff. It sucks keeping an eye on them around other peoples crap but at someone else's house.. its not their responsibility to baby proof everything for your grabby child. Some people could have been a bit smarter and not left shit down... but with a 2yo around you take some risks. They'll get in to anything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)