Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Only Afircan and Asian women scream during childbirth

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM
  • 197 Replies

The other night we had a family over for dinner who had recently moved here from Africa. The husband just finished his nursing degree and his wife is due to give birth any minute so the subject of child birth naturally came up. They asked me about my experience and I recounted my story of having my daughter naturally. I laughed and said I was suprised no one called the police thinking I was being ripped apart in here (I had her at home) because I was screaming so loudly.

At that point the man's eyes got wide and he interrupted saying "wait! I thought only African and Asian women screamed during childbirth." I laughed and asked hiim what made him think that? He replied that it's what he was taught in nursing  school and it was even in his text book.

The only births he had seen here in Canada (while finishing his nursing program)were women who had epidurals, while in Africa he had only seen natural births. So, the only women he heard scream while giving birth were African women. Thus he never questioned what he had learned.

Has anyone else ever heard that? Am I the only woman of European descent to scream during childbirth? lol

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM
3 moms liked this
Your friend is an idiot.
ladyraven16
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM
I didn't scream but u had epidurals. I'm going all natural this time so we will see if I scream lol. That's really dumb though.
teddysmama09
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM

BUMP!

teddysmama09
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Your friend is an idiot.

My friend didn't write the text book lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't have any epidural s and didn't scream, I'm white

Sweetie1216
by ♥Dominique♥ on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I screamed bloody murder, my va ja ja hurts thinking about it.

nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I didn't scream, and I've given birth both drug free and with an epidural. What an interesting thing to put in a textbook. That's very odd.

curlycupcake
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM
3 moms liked this
Yeah but believing everything you read, even in a textbook, isn't a strong sign of intelligence.

Quoting teddysmama09:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Your friend is an idiot.

My friend didn't write the text book lol

KimmieLu
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM
I did natural and never screamed. I sort of groaned as she was coming out, but nothing loud.

That's so..bizarre..that something like that would be in a textbook. How is that even relative?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I did not scream with my first, I felt like it because the epidural did not work. But the crazy lady in the room next to me was screaming loud enough for everyone. I was so distracted by her screams all I could yell was shut up. Before you call me mean, I was crowning, she was only 3cm dilated and yelling at the top of her lungs.

With my second I refused to go into the delivery room without the anesthesiologist.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured