Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Being medically discharged from the Military

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
My dh is in the Military and has bad knee problems. They have tried everything to help him but his knee isnt getting any better. He is on limited duty. They told him if he cant start running and doing his regular work by August then they will start processing the release forms. Does this mean he will be medically discharged or what? He has until 2015 until he gets out. Im worried that they are just gonna drop him like a bag of dog poo with no support or some type of income until he gets back on his feet. I dont know what we are going to do. Any advise?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoSammich4You
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Yep.

Happened to my SIL. She had hip problems.
NoSammich4You
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Btw-sorry :(
Toxic.Stardust
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I'm not an expert, but I don't think it's immediate. It takes a few months at least and possibly up to a year. One of DH's friends was medically discharged, he was given like 10k. I don't know if it was to help him until he got back on his feet or what though

B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

A medical discharge qualifies you for disability, which can be a siginificant amount (although the levels seem kind of arbitrary).

If he has until 2015 to retire, is there any way he can just suck it up to get through one more PT test? After that, he can fail one and have a year to get back in shape, at which point he will be at retirement age.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM
What do you mean yep? That they will drop him like a bag of dog poo or help him out? Its ok, we will find a way to get through it :)

Quoting NoSammich4You:

Yep.

Happened to my SIL. She had hip problems.

laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. 

The military is the government.

The government will give out free stuff to people who don't work and have never worked(that is not saying all people on PA do not work or do not try) BUT it is hard as hell to get them to take responsibility for our soldiers.

They STILL won't replace my husband's teeth saying they had no control over the sand in the gulf.

It took him YEARS to get what little disability he gets and he is service connected.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Im not sure. He says that everytime he trys to run his knee gives out on him and.he falls. He literally can not stop it from happening he just falls. Poor guy :( He wants to be a cop, and im sure he cant be a cop with knee problems. Its like all his dreams have been smashed.

Quoting B1Bomber:

A medical discharge qualifies you for disability, which can be a siginificant amount (although the levels seem kind of arbitrary).

If he has until 2015 to retire, is there any way he can just suck it up to get through one more PT test? After that, he can fail one and have a year to get back in shape, at which point he will be at retirement age.

FL2AK
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM
It can take a year to go through the med board process, but yes if your husband is found not fit for duty they will start the process. Start planning now. Pay off bills and downsize if you need to. Make sure he attends his seperation briefing and make sure he has a copy of all medical records. He will need to file for VA Disability. Work on a resume and start seeing what the labor market is like. My husband went through a med board in 2006. If I can help at all feel free to message me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM
:( Im sorry. The goverment sucks.

Quoting laranadtony:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. 

The military is the government.

The government will give out free stuff to people who don't work and have never worked(that is not saying all people on PA do not work or do not try) BUT it is hard as hell to get them to take responsibility for our soldiers.

They STILL won't replace my husband's teeth saying they had no control over the sand in the gulf.

It took him YEARS to get what little disability he gets and he is service connected.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM

yup..sorry. dh got a medical discharge back in 2005 or 2006 and he didn't get shit. turned in his stuff and they sent him on his way. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured