Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Joining the military for benefits

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
I'm desperate. I need heath insurance and I can't afford it. If I join the Air National Guard Reserves, will I get benefits? How hard is it? What's the training like? Can it be done part time? I already have a full time job and would like to keep it. Go ahead and bash. I know it's lame to want to join solely for benefits. I just don't know what else to do. I don't have the income to afford insurance on my own.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
If that is the only reason you join, you will hate it. Yes you will get benefits...but you will have to get a waiver because you have existing dependents, and right now that is pretty hard to do. Basic is challenging but if you're already fit, you have a leg up. There is no part-time military with full time benefits.
*didn't see you wanted reserves. You will only have benefits as reserve is if you're deployed or alerted to active.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM
What is the waiver for?

So basically, I can be a member of the reserves, but will get nothing unless called to duty?

Quoting Anonymous:

If that is the only reason you join, you will hate it. Yes you will get benefits...but you will have to get a waiver because you have existing dependents, and right now that is pretty hard to do. Basic is challenging but if you're already fit, you have a leg up. There is no part-time military with full time benefits.

*didn't see you wanted reserves. You will only have benefits as reserve is if you're deployed or alerted to active.

hatinnd
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM

"Lame to join for benefits"?   Isn't that kinda like "Lame to get a job for money"??

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I don't girl bump, everyone else sucks the government dry at least your willing to trade services. Good luck!!

macysmom
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:07 AM
My husband joined the army for the benefits and for a stable income. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you can handle the stress.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElitestJen
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:08 AM
No. You will only receive benefits if you're active duty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Remember .... there is more than just benefits when it comes to joining the military.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Reserves don't get health benefits.
Anonandon
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

If you join reserves you'll have to pay for benefits.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Are they affordable? I don't mind paying, I just don't have $600+ dollars.

Quoting Anonandon:

If you join reserves you'll have to pay for benefits.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN