Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Keeping kiddos active

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM
  • 19 Replies

DD is 12.  She's a self proclaimed computer geek and book worm.  :)  Loves to play video games and read, read, read.  Wants to be an engineer someday.  All that is great, but she really needs to be more physically active.  She's got a heart defect, so being healthy needs to be a top priority for her.  We're just not sure how to go about it.  She swims during the summer - we've got a pool that's big enough for her to move around quite a bit.  It's not enough though.  Ideas?  Going into 7th grade, options for school sports are opening, but she's just not interested in any of them.  Would you force her?  What else can we do with her to get her moving?  I've tried going on walks, kicking the ball around, etc...it's like pulling teeth.  :)  What do your non-sporting tweens/teens do for exercise/physical activities?  

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
casah4
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

My DDs took mixed martial arts classes. They really enjoyed that.

QuirkyMom26
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Implement her reading and computer nerdiness into the equation. Get her to read about a sport that may spark an interest. Have her search for some youtube videos. Get her excited and amped up.  Maybe she'll eventually physically participate.

by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I've tried that...she's just not interested.  She did play soccer for a couple seasons, but that, obviously, didn't last long.  :/  She's the best kid ever, just not physically active - maybe I need to just force her and hope for the best....

Quoting QuirkyMom26:

Implement her reading and computer nerdiness into the equation. Get her to read about a sport that may spark an interest. Have her search for some youtube videos. Get her excited and amped up.  Maybe she'll eventually physically participate.

by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:58 AM

BUMP!

by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:10 AM

BUMP!

Kitschy
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I would suggest some kind of lessons or class if team sports isn't appealing to her. Martial arts, horse back riding, swim lessons. Those can be done year round when there is a class involved.

CarolinaGirl88
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM
My daughter's not a teen yet, but when I was younger I also swam a lot, it's one of my favorite outdoor activities. I also took Tae Kwon Do which I loved.
CelestialSong
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM

What about games that use movement? Dance Dance Revolution can be quite a workout.

Kitschy
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Also family bike rides are awesome

by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM

We do have a Wii...the silly girl has figured out she can just move the remote and nothing else and it still works.  :)  And, you know, having Mom stand there to make sure she actually move is NOT cool.  ;)  

Quoting CelestialSong:

What about games that use movement? Dance Dance Revolution can be quite a workout.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)