Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Keeping kiddos active

Posted by   + Show Post

DD is 12.  She's a self proclaimed computer geek and book worm.  :)  Loves to play video games and read, read, read.  Wants to be an engineer someday.  All that is great, but she really needs to be more physically active.  She's got a heart defect, so being healthy needs to be a top priority for her.  We're just not sure how to go about it.  She swims during the summer - we've got a pool that's big enough for her to move around quite a bit.  It's not enough though.  Ideas?  Going into 7th grade, options for school sports are opening, but she's just not interested in any of them.  Would you force her?  What else can we do with her to get her moving?  I've tried going on walks, kicking the ball around, etc...it's like pulling teeth.  :)  What do your non-sporting tweens/teens do for exercise/physical activities?  

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Replies (11-19):
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Trampoline, sign her up at the YMCA or summer camp. 

LitNut
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I am a huge bookworm, too. When I got my first Kindle, it had info about Audiobook. You pay like $15 or something like that a month and get a credit to get a free audio book. ANY audiobook. Some of them are $70 + dollars. I got a few of them and I like to take it to the gym, get on a stationary bike and listen to my books while I work out. It helps pass the time. Would she like something like that?

disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Personally I wouldn't force team sports. I hated sports as a kid and forcing me onto a team wouldn't have been fair to me or the team.  I'd just tell her that you're all going to do some activity together - family hike, bike ride, etc.  

TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Roller skates/roller blade.....skateboard.....bike.  All of these are favorites of my 14 yr old daughte.

CelestialSong
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:30 AM

That's why DDR is awesome, you can't really cheat. You use a dance pad with arrow keys, and really the only way to hit them is by standing up and using your feet. Plus it's fun :) It might be worth looking into at least.

Quoting 081499:

We do have a Wii...the silly girl has figured out she can just move the remote and nothing else and it still works.  :)  And, you know, having Mom stand there to make sure she actually move is NOT cool.  ;)  

Quoting CelestialSong:

What about games that use movement? Dance Dance Revolution can be quite a workout.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I have a 12 y/o too and she just fell in love with soccer last year. A good friend of hers was playing soccer and asked DD to join.  She was hesitant at first but soon loved the game. She wants to try street hockey after watching her little brother play.  DH takes all the kids (friends included) out to the ice rink for stick time, a weekly session where kids can practice ice skating and using their stick and puck.  We bike, hike, fish, and even ski when we have the time.  Just keep your eyes open and part take in all there is in life.  I am no athlete and rather sit and read or knit but I get up and try something new. 

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM

i have a 16 yo that is the same way.  he does a lot of yard work & occasionally plays basketball in the drive way, but other than that, he's in front of his computer. 

christina0607
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Sounds like my 13yo. She also swims and we have started tennis. 

We also go out a lot as a family. hiking, mountain climbing, biking...anything we can think of. 

Yes I do force my kids to stay active. 

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I didn't know that!  Will definitely look into it - thanks!  

Quoting CelestialSong:

That's why DDR is awesome, you can't really cheat. You use a dance pad with arrow keys, and really the only way to hit them is by standing up and using your feet. Plus it's fun :) It might be worth looking into at least.

Quoting 081499:

We do have a Wii...the silly girl has figured out she can just move the remote and nothing else and it still works.  :)  And, you know, having Mom stand there to make sure she actually move is NOT cool.  ;)  

Quoting CelestialSong:

What about games that use movement? Dance Dance Revolution can be quite a workout.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN