Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids do not have a summer

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

We homeschool year round. They do not have a summer. It has allowed all of my kids to graduate early and start college early. They enjoy it. When we go on vacations we bring the school work with us and use our vacation as a teaching experience. Now that all of them are teens they are all focused at getting their school done asap so they can go to college. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mommy2b2many
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM
That's awesome. I was homeschooled year around; so I graduated at 16 :)
Anonandon
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM
I see. I definitely agree with you there. Sometimes I wish I could go at my own pace. I'm taking a music class right now that is dragging on. Finishing early would have been much better.
Quoting Anonymous:

We originally had breaks but i would always find my kids "sneaking in" school work. I found the go at your own pace works a lot better. They are able to get through things that are easy for them fast and take longer on things they need to work on. It doesnt overload them and they enjoy it 

Quoting Anonandon:

This. I'm in school year round, but all of my sessions have a 2-3 week break except for 1 (our august-october ends and the october-december session starts the next day). Everyone needs a little break.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

At what minimum age are kid's allowed to start college in your area?

My primary concern would be burn-out on the part of your kid's.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

At what minimum age are kid's allowed to start college in your area?

My primary concern would be burn-out on the part of your kid's.

I'm not OP but in my state any K-12 student can take CC classes with professor permission.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM

We HS too. DS gets about a month off.

two4one
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Glad it is working for you and your family. I do beleive that every day something new can be learned, but I don't think you need to actively work on asignments all year. Just my opinion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM

More power to you if it works.  I homeschool too, but we need our summers off.  I need the break as much as they do!

anotherhalf
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM
I think long summer vacations are a waste and actually harmful to learning. But I'm in no rush for my son to finish college and start working in the real world. I'd like his childhood to be filled with much more than schoolwork.
Katalina650
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I think homeschooling is great if you can do it.  During the summer my kiddos read for 1/2 an hour, journal on their Penmia journals, and have to do a math game on the computer or practice flash cards.  They are not homeschooled, but during the summer kids who don't do anything at all academically lose 1/3 of their content knowledge.  

KimmieLu
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM
That sounds awesome. At first, I thought it was sad your kids didn't get "breaks", but if they are sneaking in school work, that shows they are learning because they WANT to and enjoy it as a result of you not forcing them to do x, y, and z within a certain time period.

How do they feel about college? Did they adjust easily to the scheduled aspect? Does their college have summer breaks?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

For some of my kids it is very easy for others it is a harder adjustment. My oldest got cocky and took way to many credit hours/classes in the first semester and ended up dropping classes and not getting great grades. After that it never happened again. 

The college does have summer breaks but most of my kids take summer classes. Some don't and prepare for the classes in the fall. 

Quoting KimmieLu:

That sounds awesome. At first, I thought it was sad your kids didn't get "breaks", but if they are sneaking in school work, that shows they are learning because they WANT to and enjoy it as a result of you not forcing them to do x, y, and z within a certain time period.

How do they feel about college? Did they adjust easily to the scheduled aspect? Does their college have summer breaks?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured