Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sofa in a kitchen???

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM
  • 38 Replies
We are moving in a month. There is a massive eat in kitchen like massive massive! A formal dining room and a living room. Now I don't need 2 dining areas but I need 2 seating areas because when guests come over its gender segregated. I am thinking it would be much more comfortable to have a love seat and some plush chairs in the eat in kitchen with a small cafe table vs having the formal dining room be another sitting room. Then when I have guests we can (the women) visit and do meal prep comfortably without having to go from one room to the other. So do you think it would be weird to use the eat in space as a living room as well? The eat in space is probably 15x25.
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Sounds fine.
Decemberlov
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you could make it work depending on the style of furniture you choose. Keep the furniture "light" and not to bulky. Maybe something liek this:

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Just curious...why are meals separated by gender? And is it only separated when there is company or every night?

jadsmummy
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM
It would be traditional furniture like you said not overpowering in the space. Dh runs a furniture store so picking out pieces is easy.

Quoting Decemberlov:

I think you could make it work depending on the style of furniture you choose. Keep the furniture "light" and not to bulky. Maybe something liek this:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM
I would have to see the space. In my house it would look ridiculous but in my sisters it would look ok.
msb64
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

We had cozy chairs and a coffee table in our kitchen as the dining room was right next to the kitchen and we didn't need two eating spaces.  I loved it as I love company when cooking and the chairs were much more comfortable than sitting at table.  It sounds as if the eating area in your kitchen is HUGE.  You could probably accommodate a sitting area and still have room for a 4-top table and chairs for your family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I think it would be fine.  I notice on a lot of sitcoms they have sofas or chairs in the kitchen.  I wish I had the space. 

jadsmummy
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Men and women don't socially mix. It's just with unrelated company. So within immediate families no segregation. When we have get togethers the men go into one living room the women another and the children go back and forth to whichever side has the best desert lol.

Quoting purpleducky:

Just curious...why are meals separated by gender? And is it only separated when there is company or every night?

Newmom8912
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM
This

Quoting purpleducky:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadsmummy
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Easily we could but I would want more sitting space vs eating space. We are rather formal with meals just dh the boys and I so using the formal dining room daily would be more natural for our lifestyle. I want a comfortable space that you also cook in lol.

Quoting msb64:

We had cozy chairs and a coffee table in our kitchen as the dining room was right next to the kitchen and we didn't need two eating spaces.  I loved it as I love company when cooking and the chairs were much more comfortable than sitting at table.  It sounds as if the eating area in your kitchen is HUGE.  You could probably accommodate a sitting area and still have room for a 4-top table and chairs for your family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN