Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What happened to kindergarten? No Child Left Behind... I think I get the outrage now.

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 226 Replies
3 moms liked this

Mind you, I guess my first warning should have been last year, when we eschewed the pre-K out here because the teachers main concern for the children was "Teaching them to sit still at a desk" at age four.  I'm still letting that one sink in.  Sure, they could still play, but thirty minutes play, thirty minutes desk activities.  Actual itty bitty desks. 

Our oldest is turning five this fall.  Neither DH nor I wants the kid gone all day for a myriad of reasons, and we see no reason for it at five years old.  So I go to look into the much-touted "Transitional K) for kiddos born between Sept-Dec.

Turns out that is still a full day.  Okay.

In which they are, teacher quote here "Teaching to the test" and there is little time for circles/structured play. 

Then I go to look at the cafeteria menu because hey, there might be times that would be a handy option.  You guys, it was horrifying.  Not in a "My little snowflake can't eat that, it's not grassfed organic fermented unicorn juice!" way, but that.... all that is is fried carbs and my son is going to feel like crap eating it and be bouncing off the walls.  Holy hell, who loads a room of kindergartners on cinnamon rolls for breakfast, burgers or pizza for lunch, and expects that day to go well?". 

I think it says a whole bunch about our education system that we apparently load little kids up on nutritionally empty junk at school.  School.  Where they are supposed to go for their betterment and growth, but instead we're going to shove fake "food" at them and "teach to the test".  Yes, we care about these children.  Seriously I think I started hearing Pink Floyd in the background at that point.

I'm seriously bummed out.  I WANTED my son to get to go to kindergarten and make little friends, but apparently how parents of older kids have talked about how little time their children have for that... I get it now.  They weren't exaggerating.

DH has been lobbying for homeschooling for years now.  He's been all "There are co-ops!  And extra curriculars! And sports and gymnastics and whatever else we could dream up!" and I've been all "Hrremm.   Want him to spread his wings a bit.  Want him to make little friends his own age."

I.... I think DH wins.  We knew which curriculum we'd go with if we did HS, so I'm ordering it probably today. 

Kind of sad.  But holy shit.

Please tell me what your kids did in K, and what year they went?

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this

We homeschooled for Kindergarten because like you said, they are more concerned with teaching the kids how to sit still and walk in a line. Academics-wise, they teach the kids to color the squares red and the circles blue... Our kid was already way ahead.

KimmieLu
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter isn't school age yet, but I agree with you. I would LOVE for her to go to school and get the whole experience of group work, diversity, interaction with others daily, etc etc... but so many schools are under pressure to get kids through and to have "high scores" and have low funds for healthy options. So many problems...
RobinBright
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this
My older guy is a January baby, so he was 5 and 8 months when he started. They had tables with assigned seats for writing/drawing/art activities, and sat on the rug or grass for songs, games, etc. And there were play centers all around the room for blocks, kitchen, dress up, etc. As far as curriculum... They started the year learning to read and write rhyming family words, and by the end of the year they were keeping a journal daily with a picture and two simple sentences for every day-- super cute. They did the expected fine motor skill stuff with tying, zipping, cutting, pasting, yada yada yada.... and gross motor skills on the playground, acting out songs, games that required jumping and claiming, stuff like that. For math, they count and recognize numbers to 100, and add/subtract single digits. Multiplication has been loosely introduced (if I have two piles of four crayons each, how many crayons do I have?)

My younger guy is an October baby, and he will be starting kindergarten this September at 4 years, 10 months. Same school and same teacher, so I expect largely the same curriculum.

We don't have any sort of transitional K. Kids go the September of the calendar year they turn 5.
Master_Debater
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

That's pretty much the way it is now as far a curriculum. The food has always been that way here, even when I was in school.

vvinkyloafer
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Damn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Quoting vvinkyloafer:

Damn.

I know.  I got wordy, lol.  But I just found most of this out last night and I'm kinda processing it here.  I kept waiting on someone to laugh and be like "No really, here's what we actually do all day."

dommad2
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I am so sorry your district Kindergarten is like that. 

Dh an I spent 2 years researching local school districts before we decided where we wanted to live. We wanted to know about their teaching methods, education level, special services, hot lunch program, and rules/discipline. We moved where we did because of the school district. We pay a lot more to live here but in our opinion the sacrifice is worth the payoff.

.Peaches.
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

So pack his lunch. Eating school lunch IS optional, ya know. I pack my DD's lunches, at least I know what's in them. As they get older though, they'll probably start trading out their lunches, nothing I can do about that, thats just kids for ya.

Have you checked into other schools in your area? He doesn't HAVE to go to the one he's zoned for, especially if there are better schools and/or the school he's at has received a low score in some area (at least, that's the way it works in SC). My oldest DD went to a Magnet school and she (and I) LOVED it. They really challenged her, and the focus was on The Arts and Humanities- she was thriving. Well, we moved, and I just wish I could find a school around here like that. I don't like the school that they're at now for a myriad of reasons.

december911
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM

idk where you are, but in my dd's prek class-public school- she was taught more than to just sit in a chair. by the end of the year, they were doing simple addition and subtraction along with site words. in K, they start learning how to read as well. and yes she goes all day. I don't have a problem with it. as for lunches, she usually takes hers. if she wants to eat what they have that day, she can.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM

have you considered private school?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)