Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could you be roommates with your ex?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 294 Replies
I'm toying with the idea of asking my kids dad if he wants to move in. Both of us could beniefit financially, we'd both be there for the kids, and the kids wouldn't have to go back and forth on the weekends. I have two master suites in my house so he could have one. We get along pretty well- it would still be my house and we wouldn't be getting back together- I've been thinking of looking into exchanging free rent for baby sitting a few nights a week and thought this might work just as well.
What do you think?

**i wouldn't offer him free rent for being there- sorry for the confusion. My original plan was to ask one of my friends if they wanted to babysit for 8-12 hours a week in exchange for free rent. His schedule doesn't sync up with mine well enough that I wouldn't still need a sitter anyway.
If he moved in he'd be paying half of everything .
A lot of you have also asked about bringing home dates- we both agree that we don't want anyone in the home where our children live for at least six months so if one of us did start dating we'd have enough time to figure it out before it became an issue.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DannieLou
by Mockingjay on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM
28 moms liked this
I think it depends on WHY you are ex's. Also, I'd have a lease drawn up so that if things go horribly wrong, you can evict him.
dee06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I've done it before and it wasn't a big deal. It lasted about a year before he moved in with his now wife. 

mommatojos
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:42 PM
3 moms liked this

That could get complicated in a hurry! Make sure you have set ground rules and stick to them.

Shy_Dia
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

depends on what ex... well, kind of. i just cant stand living with people. it always turns bad.

but my most recent ex- yea, i could totally be room mates with him. he's a great guy, we get along better as friends than as a couple. my son adores and loves the crap outta him.

my son's dad-- i think it'd cause issues. he's VERY possessive and has already started showing signs that he 'owns' me (ha! yea right!) if we lived together, it'd kill me emotionally, mentally and who knows what else!

bring the idea up to him, throw it around.... i'm sure you guys will have to talk to the kids too. you dont want them to believe mommy and daddy are getting back together when its not true. DS went through that when i was still hanging out with my ex, he thought that we still loved each other and wanted to be boyfriend/girlfriend- which isnt true.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM
2 moms liked this
If I was not engaged I wouldn't mind lol fun sex!
Mommy2b2many
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM
It depends... why are you guys exes? And I would draw up a contract of some sort first.

And no; I would never live with either of my exes
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM
We were married young and as we got older we realized we had very different visions for the rest of our lives. He was also a shitty father, but he's done a 180 since our divorce.

Quoting DannieLou:

I think it depends on WHY you are ex's. Also, I'd have a lease drawn up so that if things go horribly wrong, you can evict him.

Aislin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

If it wasn't for SO I could. I would never even suggested it since I am with SO.

JackieGirl007
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

If I HAD to, ugh. Still no.

mhaney03
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I could, but he couldn't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured