Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you consider Medical Assisting a career?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I've been a sahm for the past 12 yrs. I went back to school, became an MA and graduated in 2008. For whatever reasons, I have never went back to work. Well, now I'm at a point in life where I want to go out there and find a job. My youngest one will be three soon and I think I'm ready do something else with my life besides being a mom :) My sister recently opened her business and I have a chance to work with her. If I decide to take up on her offer, I'll be the receptionist/office manager. I have never worked as an MA so without any experience (other than practicing at school and during my externship), I know it won't be easy to get a job. But I know medical assisting is always on demand. Idk what to do. I know MAs don't get paid much to start. My sister and I haven't yet discussed my pay. Any thoughts? Advice? WWYD?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM
A refresher course sounds good; I'll definitely look into it. Thanx again!

Quoting .stella.:

No worries :) I started as a MA since I knew I didn't want to work in life or death situations on a daily basis (like a hospital setting) right off the bat. Here, most doctor's offices have MA's instead of RN's so there are a LOT of jobs opening up constantly. I say you already have the education, maybe see if your school offers a refresher course :) Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanx, I agree, I consider it a great career (thus I got into it :). It's just that I've had people tell me things like " oh, you should've gotten into nursing, instead of MA, you get paid more, blah, blah, blah" . I always tell them is not all about the money, but that kind of makes me doubt wether I went the right path, you know? I guess I'm just also scared to get work as an
MA, since I haven't really practiced, you know? I've been a sahm mom too long, lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Yeah, I have a friend who is an MA and a phlebotomist, and she makes good money :)

Quoting britadams10:

my aunt is a m.a and she makes about 45k a year, so yeah i definitely think it's a career, i did it for a while when i was 19, i was also a phlebotomist so I made 18$ an hour

britadams10
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM

it's a really good profession to get into especially if you want to go further in medical. i got a job at a hospital and they paid for me to go to school to become a physicians assistant. I was making 70k a year before i became a sahm

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah, I have a friend who is an MA and a phlebotomist, and she makes good money :)

Quoting britadams10:

my aunt is a m.a and she makes about 45k a year, so yeah i definitely think it's a career, i did it for a while when i was 19, i was also a phlebotomist so I made 18$ an hour

brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM
You have to go to school for it, so yes it could be a career. However, there us no room for advancement in that field without further schooling, and you're unlikely to ever make over $15 an hour. Receptionist/Office managers can make decent money. I did it for a few years after getting out of the Navy. I made anywhere from $15-$25 an hour depending on the size of the company. Oil and Gas receptionist make outstanding pay, as well as Brokerage firms. Medical receptionist make less, and legal secretaries usually require a notary certification.
Schauseil
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:04 PM
I figured that was the average salary. Personally I don't consider that a career. It doesn't pay much. You'll never be able to buy a very nice house or car with it. Its a job. Its a good job though and it could lead to a good career as an RN.

Quoting .stella.:

Lol, I don't mind. I got hired at $13/hr, and I'm now at $15 ( I'll be here a year next month and then get another $1 raise). I always said I'd start out as a MA as an entry level medical field job, then pursue RN if I felt like I enjoyed it. Who knows, I might go for RN, but as for now I'm happy where I am at :)

Quoting Schauseil:

Can I ask how much you get paid. I could be wrong, maybe you make a good salary, But I always thought it was one of the jobs you got if you wanted more than min. wage but didn't aspire to too much.

Quoting .stella.:

I'm a MA and yes I consider it a career. I've been with the private practice Im at since I graduated, and I've already gotten two raises. It's definitely a great career option to grow with :)

.stella.
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:06 PM

simple smile

Quoting Schauseil:

I figured that was the average salary. Personally I don't consider that a career. It doesn't pay much. You'll never be able to buy a very nice house or car with it. Its a job. Its a good job though and it could lead to a good career as an RN.

Quoting .stella.:

Lol, I don't mind. I got hired at $13/hr, and I'm now at $15 ( I'll be here a year next month and then get another $1 raise). I always said I'd start out as a MA as an entry level medical field job, then pursue RN if I felt like I enjoyed it. Who knows, I might go for RN, but as for now I'm happy where I am at :)

Quoting Schauseil:

Can I ask how much you get paid. I could be wrong, maybe you make a good salary, But I always thought it was one of the jobs you got if you wanted more than min. wage but didn't aspire to too much.

Quoting .stella.:

I'm a MA and yes I consider it a career. I've been with the private practice Im at since I graduated, and I've already gotten two raises. It's definitely a great career option to grow with :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Wow, that's great! I always thought I'd start off as an MA and, if I liked it, I'd go from there and maybe become a RN. Right now I just really need to get a job
:)

Quoting britadams10:

it's a really good profession to get into especially if you want to go further in medical. i got a job at a hospital and they paid for me to go to school to become a physicians assistant. I was making 70k a year before i became a sahm

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting britadams10:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Thanks. My sister's business is small; it opened less than a year ago. It's going well, though it's barely taking off so I know I won't be paid a lot. At least, at the beginning.

Quoting brandydesiree:

You have to go to school for it, so yes it could be a career. However, there us no room for advancement in that field without further schooling, and you're unlikely to ever make over $15 an hour. Receptionist/Office managers can make decent money. I did it for a few years after getting out of the Navy. I made anywhere from $15-$25 an hour depending on the size of the company. Oil and Gas receptionist make outstanding pay, as well as Brokerage firms. Medical receptionist make less, and legal secretaries usually require a notary certification.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)