Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you consider Medical Assisting a career?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I've been a sahm for the past 12 yrs. I went back to school, became an MA and graduated in 2008. For whatever reasons, I have never went back to work. Well, now I'm at a point in life where I want to go out there and find a job. My youngest one will be three soon and I think I'm ready do something else with my life besides being a mom :) My sister recently opened her business and I have a chance to work with her. If I decide to take up on her offer, I'll be the receptionist/office manager. I have never worked as an MA so without any experience (other than practicing at school and during my externship), I know it won't be easy to get a job. But I know medical assisting is always on demand. Idk what to do. I know MAs don't get paid much to start. My sister and I haven't yet discussed my pay. Any thoughts? Advice? WWYD?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Bump
countrymomma81
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Patients. I have a low tolerance for whining and when you work with the public that's what you get, whining. Especially at a General Practitioners office. People go in when they are sick they tell you all about their problems and stuff (beyond me asking why they are there...lol). I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, I'm just not the person that wants to deal with it. And I'm not a good at multitasking, which didn't help. I'm better at a desk by myself with paperwork. 

Quoting Anonymous:

What part of the work did you hate most ??

Quoting countrymomma81:

I got the diploma and held 3 different MA jobs in completely different settings. I hate the work and I hope to never need to use that degree again. 

I don't see it as a career. It's a job. Unless you go back to school you will not advance (most of the time), which leaves it a dead end job. 

I understand it's not like this for everyone but for every MA I know this is the case. 

IWantOneMorePlz
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I am going to school in Sept for Medical Office Assisting.  The job that I (hopefully) will get after graduation will be 3 times what I am making now. Yes, if you want it to be, it is a career.

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

yes, of course.  Go for it if that is something you think you would want.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:27 PM
I'm an MA and make $9 busting my ass for a total ass hat of a doctor. I should've just gotten my nursing degree!!

Quoting Schauseil:

Can I ask how much you get paid. I could be wrong, maybe you make a good salary, But I always thought it was one of the jobs you got if you wanted more than min. wage but didn't aspire to too much.

Quoting .stella.:

I'm a MA and yes I consider it a career. I've been with the private practice Im at since I graduated, and I've already gotten two raises. It's definitely a great career option to grow with :)

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Yes, its a career for many. Is it what you want to do with your life (aside from being mom of course)? I would personally go the route that provided the most long term. Will your sister provide benefits?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Yeah...I can tell you totally hate it lol! Your avi literally made me lol! Gosh I needed that laugh!

Quoting countrymomma81:

I got the diploma and held 3 different MA jobs in completely different settings. I hate the work and I hope to never need to use that degree again. 

I don't see it as a career. It's a job. Unless you go back to school you will not advance (most of the time), which leaves it a dead end job. 

I understand it's not like this for everyone but for every MA I know this is the case. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting countrymomma81:

Patients. I have a low tolerance for whining and when you work with the public that's what you get, whining. Especially at a General Practitioners office. People go in when they are sick they tell you all about their problems and stuff (beyond me asking why they are there...lol). I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, I'm just not the person that wants to deal with it. And I'm not a good at multitasking, which didn't help. I'm better at a desk by myself with paperwork. 

Quoting Anonymous:

What part of the work did you hate most ??

Quoting countrymomma81:

it is a good thing you don't do that  job anymore.  You were definitely not cut out for it. I pity your patients who just wanted to chat to probably make themselves feel better.  Why did you go into it in the first place?

MommeeTo4
by &1more on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this
A very nice car and house is relative. A nice house to some may not what others equate as a nice home and car.

Quoting Schauseil:

I figured that was the average salary. Personally I don't consider that a career. It doesn't pay much. You'll never be able to buy a very nice house or car with it. Its a job. Its a good job though and it could lead to a good career as an RN.

Quoting .stella.:

Lol, I don't mind. I got hired at $13/hr, and I'm now at $15 ( I'll be here a year next month and then get another $1 raise). I always said I'd start out as a MA as an entry level medical field job, then pursue RN if I felt like I enjoyed it. Who knows, I might go for RN, but as for now I'm happy where I am at :)

Quoting Schauseil:

Can I ask how much you get paid. I could be wrong, maybe you make a good salary, But I always thought it was one of the jobs you got if you wanted more than min. wage but didn't aspire to too much.

Quoting .stella.:

I'm a MA and yes I consider it a career. I've been with the private practice Im at since I graduated, and I've already gotten two raises. It's definitely a great career option to grow with :)

Grumpylilpixy
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't really see it as so. But if that what makes you happy then go for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN