Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you consider Medical Assisting a career?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I've been a sahm for the past 12 yrs. I went back to school, became an MA and graduated in 2008. For whatever reasons, I have never went back to work. Well, now I'm at a point in life where I want to go out there and find a job. My youngest one will be three soon and I think I'm ready do something else with my life besides being a mom :) My sister recently opened her business and I have a chance to work with her. If I decide to take up on her offer, I'll be the receptionist/office manager. I have never worked as an MA so without any experience (other than practicing at school and during my externship), I know it won't be easy to get a job. But I know medical assisting is always on demand. Idk what to do. I know MAs don't get paid much to start. My sister and I haven't yet discussed my pay. Any thoughts? Advice? WWYD?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Replies (41-50):
laura_simss
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone is different. For some that would be a career...for me not so much

AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I do think its a career as long as you continue to grow within the field, it's a great way to pursue an education and get hands on experience at the same time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM

it depends on if you ae interested in the work itself. the starting pay isnt high but it can be rewarding if you like that work. office work can be boring and redundant.

also if you are interested in nursing, you can take classes towards that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Quoting Schauseil:

I figured that was the average salary. Personally I don't consider that a career. It doesn't pay much. You'll never be able to buy a very nice house or car with it. Its a job. Its a good job though and it could lead to a good career as an RN.

Quoting .stella.:

Lol, I don't mind. I got hired at $13/hr, and I'm now at $15 ( I'll be here a year next month and then get another $1 raise). I always said I'd start out as a MA as an entry level medical field job, then pursue RN if I felt like I enjoyed it. Who knows, I might go for RN, but as for now I'm happy where I am at :)

Quoting Schauseil:

Can I ask how much you get paid. I could be wrong, maybe you make a good salary, But I always thought it was one of the jobs you got if you wanted more than min. wage but didn't aspire to too much.

Quoting .stella.:

I'm a MA and yes I consider it a career. I've been with the private practice Im at since I graduated, and I've already gotten two raises. It's definitely a great career option to grow with :)

maybe she has a dh and with that sarlary combined, they will be fine.  Ever think of that? I make 5 k a year , but our household income is over 130k.

GagaNTattooS
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM
I'm going for MA and then working in LPN from there I think its a great career and good luck
Leigh84
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course it is
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Good luck :)

Quoting IWantOneMorePlz:

I am going to school in Sept for Medical Office Assisting.  The job that I (hopefully) will get after graduation will be 3 times what I am making now. Yes, if you want it to be, it is a career.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Not at this time, no, but I think she will provide health benefits in the near future.

Quoting kailu1835:

Yes, its a career for many. Is it what you want to do with your life (aside from being mom of course)? I would personally go the route that provided the most long term. Will your sister provide benefits?

MammaPaparazza
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM
No, do not waste your time or money- go get your RN!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dalbax2
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry to disagree but it IS possible to get a nice house or car working as a MA.  Might take a bit longer for some people that's all.

Quoting Schauseil:

I figured that was the average salary. Personally I don't consider that a career. It doesn't pay much. You'll never be able to buy a very nice house or car with it. Its a job. Its a good job though and it could lead to a good career as an RN.

Quoting .stella.:

Lol, I don't mind. I got hired at $13/hr, and I'm now at $15 ( I'll be here a year next month and then get another $1 raise). I always said I'd start out as a MA as an entry level medical field job, then pursue RN if I felt like I enjoyed it. Who knows, I might go for RN, but as for now I'm happy where I am at :)

Quoting Schauseil:

Can I ask how much you get paid. I could be wrong, maybe you make a good salary, But I always thought it was one of the jobs you got if you wanted more than min. wage but didn't aspire to too much.

Quoting .stella.:

I'm a MA and yes I consider it a career. I've been with the private practice Im at since I graduated, and I've already gotten two raises. It's definitely a great career option to grow with :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN