Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you consider Medical Assisting a career?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I've been a sahm for the past 12 yrs. I went back to school, became an MA and graduated in 2008. For whatever reasons, I have never went back to work. Well, now I'm at a point in life where I want to go out there and find a job. My youngest one will be three soon and I think I'm ready do something else with my life besides being a mom :) My sister recently opened her business and I have a chance to work with her. If I decide to take up on her offer, I'll be the receptionist/office manager. I have never worked as an MA so without any experience (other than practicing at school and during my externship), I know it won't be easy to get a job. But I know medical assisting is always on demand. Idk what to do. I know MAs don't get paid much to start. My sister and I haven't yet discussed my pay. Any thoughts? Advice? WWYD?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Replies (91-99):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Thanks for your kind words :). I hope u get that job at hospital you want! Don't take no for an answer :)

Quoting hailey51207:

Yes!! I'm a Registered Medical Assistant and yes it is a career !! There alot of MA's that work in offices/hospitals. MA's can do alot! You can go far being a MA!! In the doctor office I work at I run the front office and will soon become a Office Manager.  I do plan on going back to school for what yet I'm unsure, I like to have more under my belt guess to be more versatile.  If the college I go to gets the program I want (Advanced Phlebotomy) then I'm doing because it would only take 1 semester and I'm certified, I can do it now being uncertified but then you run into the issue that they want you to be certified now.  Also i don't think it should matter how much you get paid with todays economy and how much the prices of everything are going up any income coming in is better than none. That is the way I look at it!! I know I could get paid alot more if I worked at a hospital but some of the hospitals are hard as hell to get on and I need to have more experience! I just graduated in May and where i did my externship at hired me.  Even though I don't get paid as much as I'd like they are so accomodating. If something happens with my kids or family or I just need to leave early, I'm allowed.  If I worked at a hospital or dr office at the hospital that would not be acceptable! Being a MA is a career and depending on where you live and where you are applying for you can get paid 10+ an hour.  The hospital I want on pays I think 13 an hour and after 90 days you get a raise then after a year you get a raise and how much experience you have also helps too and I love their Insurance plan they have it is wonderful, the best one we've had we just pay co-pay and they pay 100% of everything.  My husband happens to work at the hospital that I'd like to get on. They are hard as HELL to get on! They will take 2 months to even call you for interview and sometimes you have to go to up to 3 interviews then still wait to hear back to know if you got the job or not.  I won't give up damn it lol...But don't look at yourself like you don't have a career YOU DO! There are many that wish they could have gone to college for at least something ya know.  I know it's hard right now but keep your head up and keep looking! Good Luck!

xixCandyxix
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
They don't earn much, in those 2 years you can also get an RN degree and they earn much more.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM
I'm not going to lie; it wasn't easy. I only had 2 kids (school age). My husband and I had to work out a schedule where he was able to drop them off at school, my mom picked them up after. But it's totally doable. There was tons of homework, but I only went mo-Thur and got Friday off, so I did everything that I needed to do (school work, projects, grocery shopping, etc) on Friday. You can do it :)

Quoting monicas3w:

work part time as a MA and part time with your sister for now. See which one fits you better. You can be a MA at a Pedi office. I was thinking about going back to school for MA also. I've been dragging my heels though. Was it hard?

WLJ2316
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Absolutely. I'm not a MA but I have friends who are and they enjoy the work, get paid well and more often than not have benefits. It's a good, honest job and one any person should be proud of.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Quoting WLJ2316:

Absolutely. I'm not a MA but I have friends who are and they enjoy the work, get paid well and more often than not have benefits. It's a good, honest job and one any person should be proud of.

RobinChristine
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in Ohio,I have friends that are nurses and friends that are MA's. Most MD offices wnat a MA over a nurse. Our hospitals also do not hire directly,they hire thru an agency,although you may be at the hospital long term your contract is thru an agency.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I think anything can be a career if someone enjoys it. i use to be a medical assistant I hated it it was not for me. I don't think money makes something a career or not
adulation
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

do you want to work with your sister?  If you could be a sahm all this time then it's probably not about pay, do what you WANT to do.  don't let pay sway you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Ump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured