Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why don't people want abortion clinics in Texas to be safer?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies
The bill they are trying to pass wants clinics to have safer conditions NOT to close.

No abortions past 20 weeks, doctors to have admitting privelages to a hospital within 30 miles, clinics to be surgical centers, etc...

I'm pro choice and these seem like reasonable things to ask of clinics.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Are the people aborting worried about the saftey of the unborn?
cinnamonkiti
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM
7 moms liked this

Um, no. The regulations that they are wanting to impose, combined with the decrease in funding, means an almost guaranteed closing of at least 37 of the 42 clinics.

If they were willing to send more funding to the clinics, then I could see your point.

These clinics are already underfunded as it is...

ETA:

By the way, these are NOT solely "abortion" clinics. They are womens reproductive health clinics. Why do so many people assume that the only thing that happens in these places is abortion????

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this
It's because it would shut down all but 4 or 5 clinics in the entire state. Many women would be without access to these services because if they can't afford a baby do you think they can afford to drive 4-6 hours to have an abortion? Probably not.

I actually support the bill, but I can see both logical sides of the argument.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:02 PM

It's just more regulations to limit freedoms and get the existing clinics closed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Unborn you are referring to is a cluster of cells. I don't feel like its a life form that feels yet and women have a right to end a pregnancy.

So the main concern should be the safety of the women.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:04 PM
It's a medical procedure and these regulations would really protect a woman should something go wrong.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's just more regulations to limit freedoms and get the existing clinics closed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:04 PM
2 moms liked this
A cluster of cells with a heartbeat...

Quoting Anonymous:

Unborn you are referring to is a cluster of cells. I don't feel like its a life form that feels yet and women have a right to end a pregnancy.

So the main concern should be the safety of the women.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM
As much as I can see both sides I also support the bill. To me the pros outweigh the cons.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's because it would shut down all but 4 or 5 clinics in the entire state. Many women would be without access to these services because if they can't afford a baby do you think they can afford to drive 4-6 hours to have an abortion? Probably not.

I actually support the bill, but I can see both logical sides of the argument.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I am not sure about the state as a whole, but I live in a fairly large area. There are two abortion clinics within and hour drive, that I know of.  This bill just put them both out of business. They are not in surgical centers, and it is hard as hell to find anyone willing to rent space for this sort of thing in centers, because the rest of the businesses do not want to deal with the protestors that are ALWAYS there (No lie, in the summer, the clinic I pass to get to my favorite taco stands, even has kids out protesting, from the little section 8 complex next door, because the old guys that are there every day pay them five dollars and buy them lunch and ice cream to stand and protest), so it is too risky to lease to an abortion doctor.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:06 PM

The number of women who have complications do not justify these regulations. Like I said, it's all about limitations.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's a medical procedure and these regulations would really protect a woman should something go wrong.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN