Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

im abandoning him UPDATE!!

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM
  • 37 Replies

I rescued a stray today, a beautiful black lab. Some teenage boys were beating the crap out of him at the park and ran off when I threatened to call the cops. He followed us home. Now, its been several hours and my shih Tzu pups have not stopped going crazy. He also plays too rough with them and is aluttle too hyper for my kids. I feel so bad but I left a message with animal control. Poor guy. I hope he finds a home :(

UPDATE: Well, our humane society/animal control told me they are a no-kill shelter. They euthanize animals upon owner's request, but he would stay until he found a good home. I also requested that if for some reason he is put on the list, we be contacted so we can find him a home rather than have him put down. They said that's fine, and he will be picked up between 11am and 3pm tomorrow. Now I'm all teary eyed :( 

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Corinnesingh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Instead of just leaving him, wld u feel comfortable enough to drop him at the shelter..?

mybabiesmama916
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

You aren't abondoning him he wasn't your dog to begin with you saved him an asswhooping, don't feel bad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Usually they are a bit hyper because everything is new and he's suffered abuse.  I found that calms down within a week when I rescue a stray.  Could you give it a day or two?

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Well, if you send him to the pound at least he will be safe and he will have a chance. A good friendly dog will hopefully find a home fast. I know how you feel. I have had so many strays traffic through my house that I finally started just taking them to the pound. Our shelter is really good though. They don't have a mandatory euthanizing period. They have kept good dogs for years. They had a cat that lived their for ten years and they eventually let him have the run of the place and adopted him as a mascot.

CafeMom Tickers

IFartGlitter
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM
I don't have access to a car right now, and don't know that I could even get him in it. I'm so sad. I want to keep him :( I'm trying to see if they will pick him up

Quoting Corinnesingh:

Instead of just leaving him, wld u feel comfortable enough to drop him at the shelter..?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM

have you called around to neighbors, friends, family members or fb to see if anybody would be willing to take him? i hate to see pups get sent to the shelter :(

IFartGlitter
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Even the rough play? My pups are terrified. And he stinks and wont get anywhere near the water. And of course I have no dry shampoo :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Usually they are a bit hyper because everything is new and he's suffered abuse.  I found that calms down within a week when I rescue a stray.  Could you give it a day or two?

IFartGlitter
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I hate that they euthanize.

Quoting mybabiesmama916:

You aren't abondoning him he wasn't your dog to begin with you saved him an asswhooping, don't feel bad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM

If you're located in Upstate NY, I'll take him.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM
We did that the other day with a dog one of our daughters found. She found him on Sunday afternoon, no vets, shelters, or animal control is open on the weekends or Mondays around here, so we kept him until Tuesday. We took him to Animal Control where we got our puppy to see if he was micro chipped. He wasn't, and they said they would find a good home for him. We were going to foster him, but that Monday night our puppy and cat was getting tired of him being here.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)