Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
In the camp counselor/cupcake post everyone is saying that the counselor did the right thing and that they do the same at home.

I call bullshit.

I don't believe for a moment that 200 moms in here do the "eat what you got or go hungry" method 100% of the time. And when I pay to send my child to camp I expect that I'm paying for my child to be cared for and allowed a fun time. The counselor could have used it as a social opportunity and suggested he find someone to trade with, or told him to wait until the end and see what was left to teach patience, she could have even explained he had to take what he got and just moved on for him to work out (because he would have) I just don't see where it's her job to punish him. Seemed like an asshole thing to do IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Replies (51-60):
carolyntx
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:40 PM
So why not leave him with what he had, move on- giving time to calm, and discuss when done passing cupcakes around?

Quoting mom2theA-team:

My daughter is five and yesterday asked for the green cup... Seriously, take it or leave it. We've never had the issue with food because we prepare the same food. I agree the camp counselor could have suggested trading... but most five/ six year olds probably would have taken a bite before he had a chance to say anything... 

Plus, I tend to err on the side of the teacher, coach or counselor because when I am not there I expect them to use their best judgement. If a child is throwing a temper and 15 kids are waiting for cupcakes, patiently or not, you may be making a different choice than if it was calm. 

carolyntx
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM
I'm not talking about what we as parents would do. I'm talking about what you expect of a caregiver you pay.

Quoting Anonymous:

He was acting like spoiled brat, and ain't nobody got time fo dat. My mom would have given me an ear full if I had done that as a kid. It's called manners. And then having a tantrum over it? Yeah, I would have thrown away his cupcake too.
mom2theA-team
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:43 PM

If my child threw a fit over something I would take it away too. I've seen a lot of parents do similar. Plus, there are three sides to every story... 

Quoting carolyntx:

So why not leave him with what he had, move on- giving time to calm, and discuss when done passing cupcakes around?

Quoting mom2theA-team:

My daughter is five and yesterday asked for the green cup... Seriously, take it or leave it. We've never had the issue with food because we prepare the same food. I agree the camp counselor could have suggested trading... but most five/ six year olds probably would have taken a bite before he had a chance to say anything... 

Plus, I tend to err on the side of the teacher, coach or counselor because when I am not there I expect them to use their best judgement. If a child is throwing a temper and 15 kids are waiting for cupcakes, patiently or not, you may be making a different choice than if it was calm. 

LilliesValley
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Did I not just explain what I do if my kid thows a fit? She doesn't get it, tough shit she will live.

I also explained that the day care she attended did let them pick and choose, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

If dd threw a tantrum I would find throwing a cupcake in the trash the perfect response and the one I would give her, that or she wouldn't get one at all and would sit while everyone else who had MANNERS ate theirs.

It's not that she's perfect, it's that I have high standards for her. Throwing tantrums is not tolerated, supported or indulged. If that makes you think my kids perfect and yours isn't, well maybe something you should try.

I'm not raising an entitled kid who thinks the world revolves around her but rather she lives in a world with others. It would be nice if others caught on that this is the concept in the "real" world and when your snowflakes get out in it they will be in for a rude awakening.

And the term snowflake exhists from entitled folks such as yourself and the other op. smh

Quoting carolyntx:

Such a silly term. Snowflake. My point is in the real world it's only right to try to find a solution to the problem. I know you all have absolutely prefect kids and they would never do such a thing as ask for a specific cupcake but if they did just by chance throw a tantrum you would likely want to know that the caretaker you entrusted with your perfect child treated them with respect and kindness.

Quoting LilliesValley:

We do have take it or leave it here, so believe what you want. Dd has missed dinner once bc of this and never has done it again.

Also at day care they were always told you get what you get and you don't throw a fit, so I would expect they would have done something similar to what this counselor did.

The Counselor could have done those things but you know what camp counselors get paid shit and it is not their job to teach your kid manners. I think it's ridiculous that the kid couldn't come up with I could trade this and try that. My 6 yo would have easily thought of that. If you want your kid to have one on one specialized, the world revolves around them attention then higher a fucking nanny. Don't send them to camp where each counselor has 10-15 other self absorbed snowflakes to care for.

Seems like entitled parents teaching their entitled kids to be the same way that would feel different. Or as I said in the other post, someone actually said no to your precious snow flake, the nerve. smh.

RMC007
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

At home, I normally give my dd choices. Do you want fruit loops or cheerios? I have one kid, so it is not a problem. Luckily, my school district does not allow outside treats to be passed out at school, but I do often buy my students little treats. I might pick up a few packs of "special pencils" from the dollar area at Target. Before I pass out the pencils, I always say, "Remember, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit." My students know they can trade on their own time. I am giving you a free pencil, I am sorry it is not the pencil you want. My child knows that if someone gives her something, she needs to be thankful. At 6 years old, you should know that when a person gives you something, especially a treat, you should simply say, "Thank-you". To me, complaining about the treat is a slap in the face and screams, "This is not good enough."

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I have 4 kids.  When they were growing up, it was eat what I cooked, or go hungry.  100% of the time, I'm not a short order cook and with 4 kids, there was always SOMEONE who didn't like SOMETHING.  Every. Single. Time.

JTROX
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM

At my house you don't go hungry.  You eat what I make, or if you don't like it you can have PBJ or a bowl of cereal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Are you sure they even pay the counselors? A lot of camp counselors are volunteers and don't get paid jack.

And she gave the kid a cupcake. The kid flipped out because he didn't get his way. Not her fault. If it was my kid, I wouldn't have a problem with what she did. I'd have a problem with my kid.

Quoting carolyntx:

I'm not talking about what we as parents would do. I'm talking about what you expect of a caregiver you pay.

Quoting Anonymous:

He was acting like spoiled brat, and ain't nobody got time fo dat. My mom would have given me an ear full if I had done that as a kid. It's called manners. And then having a tantrum over it? Yeah, I would have thrown away his cupcake too.

carolyntx
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM
You don't know how I raise my kids- whether I allow tantrums or what my personal parenting style is- what I do at home is a different discussion from what I feel appropriate from a camp counselor. Camps are there for socialization and learning- learning about problem solving, interacting in groups etc. What she did was a hard ads take it or leave it I'm in power type approach and didn't teach any of the shit I pay to send my child to learn. I am not condoning the fit, I'm saying she lost her cool and acted like a jerk rather than the multitudeof other options which could have taught a lesson and reached a happy place.

Quoting LilliesValley:

Did I not just explain what I do if my kid thows a fit? She doesn't get it, tough shit she will live.

I also explained that the day care she attended did let them pick and choose, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

If dd threw a tantrum I would find throwing a cupcake in the trash the perfect response and the one I would give her, that or she wouldn't get one at all and would sit while everyone else who had MANNERS ate theirs.

It's not that she's perfect, it's that I have high standards for her. Throwing tantrums is not tolerated, supported or indulged. If that makes you think my kids perfect and yours isn't, well maybe something you should try.

I'm not raising an entitled kid who thinks the world revolves around her but rather she lives in a world with others. It would be nice if others caught on that this is the concept in the "real" world and when your snowflakes get out in it they will be in for a rude awakening.

And the term snowflake exhists from entitled folks such as yourself and the other op. smh

Quoting carolyntx:

Such a silly term. Snowflake. My point is in the real world it's only right to try to find a solution to the problem. I know you all have absolutely prefect kids and they would never do such a thing as ask for a specific cupcake but if they did just by chance throw a tantrum you would likely want to know that the caretaker you entrusted with your perfect child treated them with respect and kindness.

Quoting LilliesValley:

We do have take it or leave it here, so believe what you want. Dd has missed dinner once bc of this and never has done it again.

Also at day care they were always told you get what you get and you don't throw a fit, so I would expect they would have done something similar to what this counselor did.

The Counselor could have done those things but you know what camp counselors get paid shit and it is not their job to teach your kid manners. I think it's ridiculous that the kid couldn't come up with I could trade this and try that. My 6 yo would have easily thought of that. If you want your kid to have one on one specialized, the world revolves around them attention then higher a fucking nanny. Don't send them to camp where each counselor has 10-15 other self absorbed snowflakes to care for.

Seems like entitled parents teaching their entitled kids to be the same way that would feel different. Or as I said in the other post, someone actually said no to your precious snow flake, the nerve. smh.

zoegirlsmom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

You get what you get and you don't throw a fit. I pay for my kids to go to camp to have fun and socialize, I don't expect them to act like two year olds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN