Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should gay/bi men be allowed to donate blood?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM
  • 122 Replies
Since the AIDS epidemic in the early to mid 80's, the American Red Cross has not accepted blood donations from gay men. And, initially, it was probably a sound medical decision as the cause of AIDS, it transmissions, etc were not well understood, nor was there quick testing avaialbe for it.

Not so anymore. Tomorrow, at blood donor site all over the country, gay and bisexual men will be going to Red Cross donation sites and asking to donate to bring attention to this outdated policy. So- should gay/ bi sexual men be allowed to donate blood?

More info from an article last year: http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/06/health/gay-men-blood-ban
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM
6 moms liked this

Of course they should be allowed. They should be testing every donation for disease regardless of thedonor's sexual orientation.

kntrymama08
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:17 PM
of course they should be able to. they test everyone when they donate so it shouldn't matter at all.
SnowWhieQueen
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

i didnt know they couldnt....thay have every right to if they wanna!!

kamrynlily07
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Of course...why would that matter?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Yes they should considering the American Red Cross tests every single sample of blood they get for hiv & hepatitis.

autodidact
by Snarknado on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM

yes

ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:19 PM

good, because I was going to nominate you for the "most homophobic post title of the day" award.

LeahJ
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Well, gay men DO have a much higher percentage of HIV infection than other populations, even now. Should we be "better safe than sorry," especially with the blood supply that is going to medically fragile people?

Quoting kntrymama08:

of course they should be able to. they test everyone when they donate so it shouldn't matter at all.
RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:20 PM

absolutely.  it's ridiculous that this is still a standing procedure.

method209
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

If I ever need blood I will be more then happy to accept blood from a gay/bi man.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)