Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should gay/bi men be allowed to donate blood?

Posted by   + Show Post
Since the AIDS epidemic in the early to mid 80's, the American Red Cross has not accepted blood donations from gay men. And, initially, it was probably a sound medical decision as the cause of AIDS, it transmissions, etc were not well understood, nor was there quick testing avaialbe for it.

Not so anymore. Tomorrow, at blood donor site all over the country, gay and bisexual men will be going to Red Cross donation sites and asking to donate to bring attention to this outdated policy. So- should gay/ bi sexual men be allowed to donate blood?

More info from an article last year: http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/06/health/gay-men-blood-ban
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Replies (121-122):
cupcake_mom
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM

i just think it is silly

Quoting Val99:

Exactly, but the actuaries and mathematicians will compute the relative risk based on demographics.  There are some societal categories that fall under the line for acceptable risk, and others who fall over the line.  That is why heterosexuals are allowed if they have not been to a high risk country, while homosexual and gay men cannot.  Gay women are considered lowest risk, so they can donate.

Quoting cupcake_mom:

And this can be true with ANYONE not just gay men

Quoting Val99:

The Red Cross says the issue is that there is a period of time when you can be infected, but not test positive.  I couldn't donate for two years after just visiting Haiti.  Since I go there every couple of years, I just can't give blood.

Quoting Anonymous:

Of course they should be allowed. They should be testing every donation for disease regardless of thedonor's sexual orientation.

LeahJ
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Lol. Seriously? Right, because they haven't been working on this issue with legislators and the fda and red cross for years....they just up and decided one day that the very first thing they would try would be a passive protest. Smh.

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand that them giving blood is putting people at risk, I get that they are offended by it, but honestly, the way they are bringing attention to it is WRONG....they know they can't, so why not write to the red cross, instead of starting a bunch of shit in the media?!?!?!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured