Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I have no idea. Absolutely NO IDEA how to discipline this child.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
He is my nephew and he is 7. I recently got custody of him. He is out of control. He calls me a bitch when I tell him he needs to take a shower, he hits and scratches me. I try to do nice things for him, and he enjoys them, but doesn't want it to end. So when it does end he refuses to come inside and acts very ungrateful. He rolls his eyes when I try talking to him. He won't sit in a time out.
I have dealt with difficult children before, I have. But nothing this bad.
Help!!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Is there any coming back from this?
Kitschy
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:19 PM
2 moms liked this

It's just going to take time. Be consistent and patient. good luck. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Well at first I thought I need to give him time. It has been ALMOST 6 months and nothing has changed. I guess I just need some advice on how to discipline. I feel like most of the time I just walk away from him instead of dealing with the problem.

Quoting Kitschy:

LeahJ
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM
4 moms liked this
Well, I'm going to guess that if you just got custody of him, he is coming form a pretty unstable home life, yeah? My guess would be to start at the basics. Very clear rules, very clear consequences, and a reward system. Carrot and stick. And just stick with it no matter what, day in, day out. Break a clear rule (no name calling) get a consequence (no tv). Have a good day without any consequences? Then maybe a favorite activity (play a game, go for a swim) it might not be a "quick fix," but it will take time and consistency for him to know you love him and he can can trust you. Don't give up on him. Good luck, momma.
Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Time. Be constant. Give a lot of love no matter how Mad you get. Time outs. Praise good behavior.
stacey541
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:23 PM
4 moms liked this
Is he in therapy? If not get him in quick. I'm guessing you got him for reasons he probably has issues from...
LeahJ
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:23 PM
3 moms liked this
People have probably been walking away from him his whole life- NOT blaming you. He's testing you. If he's nasty, will you still love him or is he really so unlovable? Because mom and dad didn't stick around for him,, so there must be something wrong with HIM, right? That's how a seven year old will see it. Don't walk away. Engage.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well at first I thought I need to give him time. It has been ALMOST 6 months and nothing has changed. I guess I just need some advice on how to discipline. I feel like most of the time I just walk away from him instead of dealing with the problem.

Quoting Kitschy:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Time outs are a joke. He is a big kid, and almost my size, up to my shoulders. I send him to time out and he literally laughs at me and fits whatever he wants. And there is no way I can pick him up and put him back.

Quoting Seagodess:

Time. Be constant. Give a lot of love no matter how Mad you get. Time outs. Praise good behavior.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Greenstone920
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Ditto LeahJ.  Is he in any sort of therapy?  I would highly suggest some family counseling, if you're not doing it already.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM
I just don't know what else to do besides walk away sometimes. When he is scratching my face, and punching me, mostly.

Quoting LeahJ:

People have probably been walking away from him his whole life- NOT blaming you. He's testing you. If he's nasty, will you still love him or is he really so unlovable? Because mom and dad didn't stick around for him,, so there must be something wrong with HIM, right? That's how a seven year old will see it. Don't walk away. Engage.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Kitschy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN