Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I receive Social Security for my son!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
2 moms liked this
Yes, I do!
And I get super pissed when they try to change the amounts.

Let me explain:
I have a college degree and had a good job with good benefits when my son was born.
He has always been a challenge.
When he started pre- k, he started to go backwards. And it got worse from there.
In kindergarten he was sent home most days for having bm's in his pants.
I finally realized that there was no way I could hold down my job. My son needed me. Since he has been diagnosed in the autism spectrum.
There have been so many school meetings and doctor appointments... It in itself is a full time job.
So yes I get Ss to supplement out income. We are treading water financially .

I get so annoyed when they try to take it away. I have put into the system since I was 14, with 2 jobs at most times. If I need a little help I do feel I should be able to get it.
I also get annoyed with ppl who bash ppl such as my self, I want to say : " what would you do?"
It's not that I don't want to work, I do! But I can't ! My kid requires to much right now. Trust me this is not what I had planned for.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Don't justify it to anyone. You do what's best for your kid, and that's it. Honestly, don't waste your time on people who aren't worth it.
lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:55 AM

hugs mama-my son requires a lot of care-I work part time-It is too difficult to work full time but my part time job does not make near what my full time job does

marney.p
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:59 AM

you can only do your best. Hope his behaviours get better when he gets older.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Lots of people work and have autistic children.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:10 AM

If I were still working, I would have been fired for the amount of times I would have had to take off for ds. IEPs and meetings and phone meetings and therapists to find and neurologists and psychologists and allergists and audiologists........

I have people who get pissy that ds has an MA card. Really, I don't want my kid to need it, but it is the only way to get him therapies. He has primary insurance, but primary insurance doesn't cover autism.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:15 AM
2 moms liked this
And they are lucky to be able to do so. That's the crazy thing about the spectrum, these kids are all different and so aren't their needs.

I can not wait until I am able to go back to work. I enjoyed making money. It kills me that everything I worked so hard for is just a memory now.

But, when we decide to have kids, we say we would do anything for them. And that's what I'm doing.

Quoting Anonymous:

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Maybe her child is on the higher end of the spectrum?

I was really worried it's have to stop working becaus of issues I had with my son his first year of school. He has ADHD and severe anxiety. Kindergarten was terrible. I was having to leave work so much to come pick him up. Or missing work because his anxiety was so high no matter what nighttime routine we had established, no matter what nighttime neemeds were given, he would be up for 24+ hours straight. LUCKILY we were able to find a great psychiatrist and get him on the right dosage of medications.

I totally get you OP. You shouldn't have to justify yourself to anyone. You do what you have to do.

Quoting Anonymous:

Jennyanne322
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:28 AM
My aunt and uncle receive it for my cousin. He is mentally retarted. My aunt tried working part time on the books and they dropped the SS. She was making less then half of what the SS was. She stopped working and now they receive it again. She babysits or does odd jobs here and there off the books for extra cash.
Is your son in therapy and all that stuff? It probably is a full time job keeping up with everything.
ZennMomma
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Social security is a pain in the ass. I know someone who is on it, literally every other month they were saying they overpaid, then they said they were underpaid and would give a large payment, then they overpaid.

you need to be taking care of your son, you have every right SSI and every right to be upset when they try to screw your sons payments around.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 12, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Yes, therapy and a psychiatrist. Tutoring, and recently hospitalized for a month for med adjustment.
Many school meeting and IEP meetings and also meeting with an advocate. Which all require hours of preparation .
He's a smart kid, but his ADL's are immature, every day is constant retracting of the most simple tasks ie brushing teeth.

Quoting Jennyanne322:

My aunt and uncle receive it for my cousin. He is mentally retarted. My aunt tried working part time on the books and they dropped the SS. She was making less then half of what the SS was. She stopped working and now they receive it again. She babysits or does odd jobs here and there off the books for extra cash.

Is your son in therapy and all that stuff? It probably is a full time job keeping up with everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)