Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Survey: Have You Ever Been Worried About What Teacher Your Child Would Get?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM
  • 74 Replies

Poll

Question: How concerned were you with what Elementary School teacher your child was assigned to?

Options:

Not much

A little

A lot

Extremely

Other, please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 103

View Results

Have you ever been worried about what Elementary School teacher your child would be assigned to?

If so, how concered were you?

Why were you worried? Had you heard negative things about that teacher?

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Only one I was ever concerned about was for my youngest as she's special needs. But I wasn't overly concerned, I just hoped it would be someone who could handle her and help her get to where she needed to be. Ultimately though, I was extremely blessed for both of my girls to have some amazing teachers who have gotten both of them to where they are today, in HS. They are both doing great.

Try not to stress too much. :)

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I am very concerned. It is because my oldest is high needs in the classroom and I wanted a teacher that I could work with about this. I am concerned this year just because I REALLY hope he has the same teacher.

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:31 PM

YES, twice  Once in first grade(I wrote a letter requesting a certain teacher) and the second time in high school.  I did not want her to get the same math teacher she had for 9th grade when she was going into 10th.  I went to her guidance counselor to make sure that did not happen, and I am a teacher. I understand parent concerns and some kids are not going to do well with some teachers.  I used to have parents request me as well.

Reina13
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I was extremely concerned with my sons kindergarten teacher. I have heard from other parents with older children, all these horror stories about this particular teacher. I was so upset when I looked at the assignment that was mailed to us.

I dreaded it all summer. During open house a few days before school started, I listened, really listened to her classroom philosophy and I have to admit I was surprised. Long story short, she is actually a wonderful teacher who just happens to teach the children personal accountability. My son thrived in her classroom. So much so, that when she moved up a grade level the following year, I asked for my son to be placed in her classroom. 

mjande4
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:47 PM

As I said in the other group that you posted this in, I have never not received the teacher that I requested. I also make it a point to work with the school not against. There will be a time when you NEED a different teacher so pick your battles VERY carefully. Parents who complain erly and often about the little things tend to get ignored when the time arises that they actually have a valid issue.

mjande4
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Your story is a common one. What one parent sees as "mean" another one sees as effective.

Quoting Reina13:

I was extremely concerned with my sons kindergarten teacher. I have heard from other parents with older children, all these horror stories about this particular teacher. I was so upset when I looked at the assignment that was mailed to us.

I dreaded it all summer. During open house a few days before school started, I listened, really listened to her classroom philosophy and I have to admit I was surprised. Long story short, she is actually a wonderful teacher who just happens to teach the children personal accountability. My son thrived in her classroom. So much so, that when she moved up a grade level the following year, I asked for my son to be placed in her classroom. 

Pnukey
by Jenn on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I have not been worried about DD at all. I have not loved all her teachers, but she's ok anyway.

Now, my son is different. He has food allergies. His kindergarten and first grade teacher sucked very badly at protecting him. However, I was available to attend all class parties and field trips those years. I did talk to the principal and request a 2nd grade teacher who wasn't a dumbass because I would not be able to attend all those functions anymore. He got an awesome teacher. I'm not very worried any more because he is his own best advocate and can read labels now, like a boss. I will still talk to the principal about his 3rd grade teacher though, just to make sure.

erika9009
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM

None at all

My kids have to go to private school because of how poor the CA school systems have become.  So, I interview his/her teachers before I choose what class they can be in.

Choice is wonderful!!!!!  If we had a voucher system, everyone would have a choice.

Now, I will say my son, now 6 yrs, but 3 then, would get so excited on his school days.  He loved his teacher, Miss Melanie, so much that I sometimes joked with my friend that he loved her more than his mommy. 

cindilou13
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM

In terms of elementary (which mine start 1st and 3rd grade this year), I am concerned because they are going to be with that teacher hours every day for more than half the year.  I don't expect them to make my children brilliant lol, and I don't want a teacher that is TOO nice and doesn't teach or expect anything from the kids.  But I also don't want one that is apathetic or overly strict.  I think a teachers' personality and interaction is very important at the elementary level, and that they have to be able to find a medium between maintaining discipline and expectations and having fun.  I can remember teachers that I was literally scared to death of just to walk by in the hall-thankfully I never had any of them.  I don't ever want my kids to feel that way about an authority figure in their life. Respect is one thing and required!  Fear is another issue altogether. 

Later on in junior high and high school, they rotate classes by subject, so they might have a teacher for homeroom and one more subject, but not all day.  So I am not as worried about it at a higher level because it's not an all day every day interaction. 

That said our school allows you to put in a request for your top three choices of teachers as well as whether you do or don't want family in the same class.  You aren't guaranteed teacher choice but they do make sure family is or isn't together as requested.  I don't know anyone that requested that didn't get one of their 3 choices.  Academic ability also has an effect on placement as well starting in 3rd grade here,  I know my son will have a certain teacher next year because he will also be in the high ability section.

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Every time I was concerned, she did get that teacher and it worked out fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)