Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Survey: Have You Ever Been Worried About What Teacher Your Child Would Get?

Poll

Question: How concerned were you with what Elementary School teacher your child was assigned to?

Options:

Not much

A little

A lot

Extremely

Other, please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 103

View Results

Have you ever been worried about what Elementary School teacher your child would be assigned to?

If so, how concered were you?

Why were you worried? Had you heard negative things about that teacher?

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Replies (21-30):
Verrine
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I figure most teachers are average, stands to reason, right? My son has been fortunate enough to have 2 excellent teachers, so he's doing well. All last year, we thought that the not-so-excellent teacher that he had in math was the one he was going to have in everything else this year. Luckily, she won't be teaching his grade and he has someone else! 

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I'm a teacher at the school my dd will be at starting Monday, so I know the teachers well.  I like just about everyone I work with, but there are definitely teachers who I know will be a better fit for my stubborn but lovable kid. I ended up getting switched to a different track than I had originally chosen (mostly for the strong teachers it offered) and of the 2 K teachers, one is brand new to teaching. I got a really good impression of her, so when my dd ended up in her class, I've been happy with it. We will see how it goes!

Ritata
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Your dd sounds like mine. My dd is going into K, she did pre-K so she has a strong foundation academically. She's very loving, tries hard to please but there are days when she is really stubborn and a little defiant. Any advice for a newbie? Thanks!!!

Quoting momtolittleg:

I'm a teacher at the school my dd will be at starting Monday, so I know the teachers well.  I like just about everyone I work with, but there are definitely teachers who I know will be a better fit for my stubborn but lovable kid. I ended up getting switched to a different track than I had originally chosen (mostly for the strong teachers it offered) and of the 2 K teachers, one is brand new to teaching. I got a really good impression of her, so when my dd ended up in her class, I've been happy with it. We will see how it goes!

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I wish I had some. I'm interested to see how dd does. She never got bad reports from her preschool, which had a similar structure to K. Every now and then I'd hear that she was not following directions. But at home, all bets are off!

Quoting Ritata:

Your dd sounds like mine. My dd is going into K, she did pre-K so she has a strong foundation academically. She's very loving, tries hard to please but there are days when she is really stubborn and a little defiant. Any advice for a newbie? Thanks!!!

Quoting momtolittleg:

AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 2:01 AM
My daughter had a fantastic kindergarten year. We couldn't say enough good things so I wasn't concerned with her placement in first grade. It was a nightmare. I knew from day one that this would be a difficult year. The teacher and my dd had very different personalities and she was very patronizing to the parents. My dh is a teacher and we felt strongly that you do not change a child unless there is an academic issue. Big mistake. A couple of months in it went from bad to worse. By Xmas break, my happy child was sad and sullen. She begged us not to make her go to school. She cried every Sunday night. We couldn't figure out what was going on.

We repeatedly tried to meet with the teacher. She became very defensive. As a last resort, we requested a meeting with the principal, social worker and the teacher. We were denied and told to work it out with the teacher.

The more we tried to fix it the worse it got for her. It was bizarre. I hid once and watched through a window as she humiliated my daughter for being late because of a doctor's appt.. It was the first and only time she had missed class other than the stomach flu.

That was it. We were done. We are sending her to another school next year. I lodged a formal complaint.

I have told every single friend and interested parent about our experience.

It was a real eye opener. We are now working on helping our dd trust other adults again.

So much more happened but this is the short version.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 13, 2013 at 2:17 AM

My dd 1st grade teacher did not do half of the stuff that the other 1st grade teachers did. He read instructions to them instead of helping them learn to sound out words--needless to say none of the kids were ready for 2nd grade. He told me he had never taught 1st grade before and didn't have time to do all that was expected of him. I spoke to the principal he said it would be ok...it wasn't. My daughter had crappy teachers like this for 2 1/2 years. Spent a crapload on tutors--summer schoools etc. Finally got a teacher that had her tested--found out she had developed a learning issue from not being properly taught in 1st grade. She is now 3 years into special help at school and going into 7th grade--just now able to be an almost totally independant student. So yeah, i do worry about which teachers she will get---it took a long  time to recoup from the last jerk teacher that didn't give a crap about the kids. If I could have afforded a private school she would have been in one--but it wasn't possible at the time.

MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I just hope ds10's 4th grade teacher doesn't move up into 5th grade.  He didn't do well in her class.  She was on his butt for the smallest thing.  He wiped his nose on his shirt and sneezed too many times so obviously he has allergies in her mind.  Umm actually no he doesn't have allergies but he's a normal kid and kids do wipe their noses on their sleeves sometimes.  Got onto him for the way he sat in his chair.  Stupid stuff like that.  And I really don't want him having ds12's former 5th grade teacher.  She was very nit-picky with ds12 and I wonder how he'd  do in her class. He might do well though, ds12 hated her but that doesn't mean ds10 will.  Ds10 has ADD and learning disabilities.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM
My son had a horrible 1st grade teacher. She picked on the boys in the class, called my son stupid in front of the class, told me he was deaf, ADHD, slow. She had numerous written complaints that year. The principal witnessed her behavior too. Fast forward to 4th grade. She was moved up to that level and I put in writing that my son was under no circumstances to be placed in her class due to get unprofessionalism and just plain meanness. The principal agreed. That teacher ruined school for my son. No 1st grader should HATE going to school. My son is now a Senior and still talks about how she ruined learning. And he's not the only one.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM

No

catholicmamamia
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Other.. we homeschool and our children's teacher is always *just right*  :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)