Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do your kids know their veggies/fruits?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:05 PM
  • 84 Replies

We went to an event in our town tonight aimed at kids. One of the booths had veggies and fruits in bags and you had to reach in and identify them. 

I was watching my kids wait their turn and the kids in front of them were having a really hard time with it. After a few minutes she would describe it for them and if they still didn't know she would tell them.

I was dismayed listening to these children say "Oh, I've never eaten that" and these were common items like a cucumber, broccoli, tomato..etc.

Do your kids eat vegetables every day? Do you make sure they get a wide variety? What is your kids favorite veggie?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:05 PM

BUMP!

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep. As for favorite, I don't think they have just one. My youngest likes fresh green beans. They both love bell peppers. Youngest likes cucumbers. Both love salads and pickles.

As for fruits, they love them. We have apples, bananas, strawberries, peaches and plums right now. Oh and grapes and cherries.
TaughtTot
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My kid KNOWS his fruits and veggies, I made sure I introduced them at a very early age.

Right now my son is into carrots, idk why but it's just the fad

He goes on and off with mangos pending his mood I guess

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting purpleducky:

Yep. As for favorite, I don't think they have just one. My youngest likes fresh green beans. They both love bell peppers. Youngest likes cucumbers. Both love salads and pickles.

As for fruits, they love them. We have apples, bananas, strawberries, peaches and plums right now. Oh and grapes and cherries.

That is awesome!! Good to hear it. We have no room in our fridge right now and 80% of it is fresh produce.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

anotherhalf
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I get a CSA box and we unload it together and talk about the vegetables. Silly, but I was excited this week to have red, orange, yellow, green, and purple veggies in the box. The colors get ds a little excited too.
ProudMommaBear
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

thats so sad when they say they've never eaten those.... just amkes me wonder what they ARE eating to not know

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter loves fruits and vegetables. She often impresses people with her knowledge of less popular ones. The folks at the farmer's market adore her.

CafeMom Tickers
nikkidedman
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd is 2 and loves fruits and vegetables. It makes me so proud because my parents only bought crap food and I am trying so hard not to do that to my kids.

Actually today my neighbor brought me some squash from her garden and my dd thought it was a banana because it was yellow, but I still give her props lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM

My 3 year old son knows his vegetables better than many of my 4th graders at work. 

Anonandon
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:17 PM

She knows them, can she say them clearly?  Not so much lol. 

She learned there is a BIG difference between an apple and a tomato last year.  I was making salad and cutting veggies and she was so excited that I had "apples" on the counter to cut up.  I tried and tried to tell her they weren't apples, but she insisted, so I gave her one.   She took a bite, made a face and gave it back :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)