Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you let your kids do this?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'll try not to be too judgy about this, but I want opinions. I was at Walmart today and saw something that disturbed me a LOT.

I was in produce and saw this little girl (must have been about 3) playing with some apples. She seemed to be all alone until I saw this older girl (maybe about 8 yrs old) walk up to her. She had this displeased look on her face as she snatched the apples out of her hands. The older girl then proceeded to put the apples back, wind back far with one hand and smack the little girl on the rump! The mother emerged and watched this all from a distance. The older girl dragged the little girl screaming to the shopping cart where the woman was standing and waiting patiently.She did nothing.They just calmly moved to the next aisle. Just totally ignored that her older daughter had just hit her younger sibling (and she hit that kid pretty hard), and now the little one was screaming and crying, basically making a scene.

Do you allow older siblings to discipline their younger siblings? Or is this your responsiblity?Does the age difference matter?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
ashleymosq
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:00 PM
No. I have a 6yr old an almost 3yr old and almost 6month old. My oldest tries to get onto her sister sometimes, but I let her know every time that it is not her job to do that.
ashleymosq
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Another problem I have with that situation is the kid playing with the apples...
Miss_Mandy80
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I only have one. But if I had had more, I am the parent, not my children. I would not allow my older one's to discipline my younger one's. It's just not their place to do so. I have also seen this with siblings in families while out shopping.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM
No. My ds tries to discipline dd and I stop it.
SouthTxPrincess
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM
well my dds are almost four and almost two so while I expect my oldest to tell me if sister gets into something bad I dont allow her to discipline her. im usually with them but hey kids get into stuff, my oldest can be a goody goody sometimes and is pretty good about not getting into things but my youngest is a troublemaker and needs constant supervision.
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

No, I don't allow my 6 year old to "discipline" his younger sisters.

But those aren't my kids so I don't really care what that seemingly lazy mother does.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Sadly, the older sister was probably reacting the way she had seen her mom do before. By the mom's reaction, the older sister's behavior is pretty well accepted.

My girls are over 6 years apart and my older one was NEVER allowed to hit or spank the younger one. I guess different parenting styles for different people. 

beaularson91
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Not cool at all.  My sd went through the phase of trying to be the boss and parent us.  Took a while to get her to knock it off.  I'd be livid, if she laid her hand on her brother.

sugareemommee
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Right?! I thought that was the problem at first.

As the mom stood by and watched?!

Op - no I do not allow my older to discipline my younger. I will send him after the 2 year old when were at home though. If he runs upstairs alone. I see that as helping me though.

Quoting ashleymosq:

Another problem I have with that situation is the kid playing with the apples...

ashleymosq
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Lol om I am happy I am not the only one that found that to be a problem too. I don't even let my kids play in the bins of beans..

Quoting sugareemommee:

Right?! I thought that was the problem at first.

As the mom stood by and watched?!

Op - no I do not allow my older to discipline my younger. I will send him after the 2 year old when were at home though. If he runs upstairs alone. I see that as helping me though.

Quoting ashleymosq:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN