Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you let your kids do this?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'll try not to be too judgy about this, but I want opinions. I was at Walmart today and saw something that disturbed me a LOT.

I was in produce and saw this little girl (must have been about 3) playing with some apples. She seemed to be all alone until I saw this older girl (maybe about 8 yrs old) walk up to her. She had this displeased look on her face as she snatched the apples out of her hands. The older girl then proceeded to put the apples back, wind back far with one hand and smack the little girl on the rump! The mother emerged and watched this all from a distance. The older girl dragged the little girl screaming to the shopping cart where the woman was standing and waiting patiently.She did nothing.They just calmly moved to the next aisle. Just totally ignored that her older daughter had just hit her younger sibling (and she hit that kid pretty hard), and now the little one was screaming and crying, basically making a scene.

Do you allow older siblings to discipline their younger siblings? Or is this your responsiblity?Does the age difference matter?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Replies (21-30):
Benjamins-mama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:08 PM

My oldest isn't allowed to discipline the youngest.  thats my job.   if I saw my oldest hit his brother he would be  standing in time out and to apologize.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM

BUMP!

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Do I.allow it no. Does my oldest do it, she tries. Not in the manner you stated but she will try to ground my 5 yr old for misbehaving if I wasn't in the room to see what happened
superwoman8977
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM

the rule in my house is that the older siblings are in charge of the younger siblings..  MY son can spank my daughter on the rump if she needs it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Siblings do not have a right to discipline other siblings in our home. If one of them has done something worth punishing they come and tell us and we handle it. If I catch one of them trying to discipline their sibling they get in trouble for it.

mom4awesomekids
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM

No way.

ROBIN-C
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Nope! My son is 21 and daughter is 9 and son tries to parent his sister and gets his ass chewed out because he is just too impatient with her. He only comes to visit since he is in the army. So technically this is her home more than his. Their dad and I both had had to put our foot down with son trying to cisalpine his sister. We have told him that that is not his role! He doesn't hit her, says he is going to and I made it very clear that that will never happen! 

LilliesValley
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Dd will be 7 years older than baby 2 in Oct. She is not the parent so I will handle discipline. She may help and guide at times but won't be giving time outs or spankings.

As an oldest child I get you help your parents out from time to time with younger siblings, but there's still your place in the hierarchy.

coleysmama
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Not with spanking or actual punishing but they are allowed to tell younger siblings what to do within reason.

I grew up that way also and it's partly cultural. When I was little if my older brother, or cousin said to not do something, you better believe I needed to listen or I'd be in big trouble with my parents.

KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM
I only have 1 child (and 1 on the way) but there's no way I would allow that. Talk about totally inappropriate.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN