Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you let your kids do this?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'll try not to be too judgy about this, but I want opinions. I was at Walmart today and saw something that disturbed me a LOT.

I was in produce and saw this little girl (must have been about 3) playing with some apples. She seemed to be all alone until I saw this older girl (maybe about 8 yrs old) walk up to her. She had this displeased look on her face as she snatched the apples out of her hands. The older girl then proceeded to put the apples back, wind back far with one hand and smack the little girl on the rump! The mother emerged and watched this all from a distance. The older girl dragged the little girl screaming to the shopping cart where the woman was standing and waiting patiently.She did nothing.They just calmly moved to the next aisle. Just totally ignored that her older daughter had just hit her younger sibling (and she hit that kid pretty hard), and now the little one was screaming and crying, basically making a scene.

Do you allow older siblings to discipline their younger siblings? Or is this your responsiblity?Does the age difference matter?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Replies (31-40):
katherinemcp
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Nope. My son (6) tries to intervene/help sometimes with his 2 yo sister, but its only ever if, for example, I am nursing the newborn and she's about to color on the wall with a crayon, he'll grab the crayon. But then he'll gently hold her hand and say "now, please come to momma, and she'll tell you why." He's really good with her! But no, he wouldn't be allowed to spank her (NO!!) Or discipline her. That's my/dh's job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlesheep
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM
My kids are too close in age for it to matter.

My ex's kids are 10-16 years older than my boys, they are adults, so they can discipline them.
Tigress22304
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I had to ban my sd12 from my house because she would take it upon herself to discipline my special needs 9yr old and her 6yr old brother despite many warnings from DH and I.

She learned real fast that WE (dh and I) are the parents NOT her

ThreeReasons123
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:14 PM
That's ridiculous.
My oldest sister is 10 years older than me, when I was about 11 (and taller than her) she TRIED to spank me for not putting the dishes away. I laughed at her and said are you serious? Lol

No, siblings are siblings not parents , unless they are in charge and its warranted, maybe.
LyndaLoo78
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM

My children do not discipline one another, that is soley a parental/adult job.  The. End.

Kara242
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:20 PM

No my kids arent aloud to hit each other at all! The mother should have steped in and done something.

catholicmamamia
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:23 PM

In our family only parents discipline, not siblings.. and we use gentle discipline, not spanking. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

teal_phoenix
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Mine are too young for this. However, when they are older, no, I would not allow this lol. Crazy!

eta: I don't spank.

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I was in charge of my little sister while my mom was at work and I would smack her when she wouldn't listen to me. 

Hubby older sister was in charge of him and his older brother when his parents weren't home. She would chase them around and swatting them with a hickory switch when they wouldn't listen. She was 10 yrs older than hubby, 5 yrs older than his brother. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:28 PM

My 21yo does this ALL the time. It drives me absolutely up the wall how much dobbing and crap she does to the point where I've told her that I don't want her opinion on them at all and I don't care what they do - I only want to hear about it if it's life threatning. She winds them up so that they hit her and then gets mad when I don't discipline them harshly for hitting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured