Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you let your kids do this?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'll try not to be too judgy about this, but I want opinions. I was at Walmart today and saw something that disturbed me a LOT.

I was in produce and saw this little girl (must have been about 3) playing with some apples. She seemed to be all alone until I saw this older girl (maybe about 8 yrs old) walk up to her. She had this displeased look on her face as she snatched the apples out of her hands. The older girl then proceeded to put the apples back, wind back far with one hand and smack the little girl on the rump! The mother emerged and watched this all from a distance. The older girl dragged the little girl screaming to the shopping cart where the woman was standing and waiting patiently.She did nothing.They just calmly moved to the next aisle. Just totally ignored that her older daughter had just hit her younger sibling (and she hit that kid pretty hard), and now the little one was screaming and crying, basically making a scene.

Do you allow older siblings to discipline their younger siblings? Or is this your responsiblity?Does the age difference matter?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Replies (41-46):
dawnjohnson5
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:28 PM
I have.

My oldest is 19 and would babysit the youngest who is two. He would discipline, if he needed to.
sunrisekn
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Some parents let their older children discipline the younger children. It's ok with them. 

I only have 1 child so I don't know how I would handle that situation.

cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM
My oldest can stop the younger ones, or take something away if necessary and I'm not quick enough. But it's not her job to "parent" or especially discipline. I expect them all to look out for each other and help each other. But nothing beyond that.
AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:36 PM

it drives me NUTS to see older kids being in charge of younger ones. changing diapers, helping with homework, being in charge of housework. that's all the parents' job!

my parents did that with my older siblings, putting one of my brothers in charge, and the power went to his head and he did truly evil things to us. then when we got older, my dad made me in charge, and my younger three siblings didn't have any respect for me, so i would have to use force to get them to do things. i didn't know any better, that's just how we did it. they grew up hating me.

i tell my dd all the time that she is NOT the mom, and to leave her brother alone. and anyone that allows their older siblings to discipline, punish, or raise their younger siblings because they're too lazy or it's convenient to do that is a horrible parent. i normally don't cast judgement on other mothers, but this thing, i am adamant.

Let the sisters take care of themselves, and make themselves beautiful, and if any of you are so superstitious and ignorant as to say that this is pride, I can say that you are not informed as to the pride which is sinful before the Lord. You are also ignorant as to the excellency of the heavens and the beauty which dwells in the society of the Gods. Were you to see an angel, you would see a beautiful and lovely creature. Make yourselves like angels in goodness and beauty. ~Brigham Young
MamaPeanut
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM
NO ONE hits my children. Ever.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Yes I let some of my older children discipline their younger siblings, but the older ones are 24 and 25, the younger ones are 11, 8,7,3, and 1. No the 11 year old and the 8 year old do not discipline their younger siblings
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)