Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Custody/visitation with a sex offender

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 119 Replies
My ex husband is in prison for indecency with a minor by contact. (He was charged for sleeping with a 16 year old hooker while high on drugs, he took a plea bargin)

He is due to get out later this year and sent me a letter saying he is pursuing custody/ visitation of our son. I was pregnant when he was arrested and went to prison he has never even seen him. Can he do that? Would a judge even allow it?

We were married in TX, which is also where he was arrested and currently resides in prison. I live in MI. (I know the laws vary from state to state.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2b2many
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I would assume a judge would at least allow visitation... especially if he's going to be paying child support (is he?)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 13, 2013 at 5:57 PM
I would say he probably could because it wasn't a csc or rape charge
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this
It hasn't been court ordered as of yet. It was written on our divorce to be left available to reopen upon his release.

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

I would assume a judge would at least allow visitation... especially if he's going to be paying child support (is he?)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM
No it was consensual. He paid her. She got in the car willingly.

But it's still an offense with a minor. I was hoping that would matter.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would say he probably could because it wasn't a csc or rape charge
MomJessto3
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM

He can try.. i do not know if he will be grandted visitation

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:03 PM

No a judge would not allow visitation. My brother is charged with molesting his kids. He hasn't seen his kids in two years. He is ordered no contact with ANY kids, not just his own. And he hasn't been convicted yet. I can't see how your ex would get visitation or custody with a conviction.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:06 PM
I know my ex isn't allowed any contact with kids per his plea bargain but I don't know if that applies to his own since his mom frequently calls to remind me I am allowed to take him to the prison to see him. (Over my dead frigging body)

Quoting Anonymous:

No a judge would not allow visitation. My brother is charged with molesting his kids. He hasn't seen his kids in two years. He is ordered no contact with ANY kids, not just his own. And he hasn't been convicted yet. I can't see how your ex would get visitation or custody with a conviction.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Why don't you want him to see his kids?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Not sure how that would work but I wish you luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Because his sexual preference is teenagers (yes his preference is girls but still)because he is not a good example, because even if they grant him visitation he will never be allowed to come to his birthday, school events, sports or any other activity. I will have to break my sons heart explaining why his dad can't be there for him. And I really don't want to tell him what his dad did period, at least not until he is much much older and might understand.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why don't you want him to see his kids?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)