Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 7 Year Old Got Her Period Today :-/ UPDATE #2 IN Orange

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:38 PM
  • 364 Replies
1 mom liked this

The pediatrician and I suspected precocious puberty earlier this year when my daughter started developing breast tissue. She's on meds because of her dx (her dx is not relevant) so he wanted to check her prolactin levels. With certain meds the levels can get high and cause breast tissue growth. Her levels were fine so he suggested it was perhaps more of a weight gain issue bc of the meds.

About 2 weeks ago DD came to me and said she had hair on her private area. I brought her into the bathroom to check and sure enough, she had a small tuft of hair starting out. I called the pediatrician and made an appointment. He saw her this past Monday. He decided that she should have more blood work done and xrays of her wrists . We made an appointment for the xrays but had the blood drawn yesterday.

About 2 hours ago DD called me from the kids bathroom. I went upstairs and asked what was wrong. She said.come in here. I went in and saw her sitting on the toilet with a look of pure fear on her face. My first reaction was to ask her what happened...if she was ok...

She didn't say anything...Sge just showed me toilet paper with a large amount of blood on it. I was shocked...I asked where the blood came from... She said "I think I got my period. It came from my vagina".

The first thing I asked was if she had put anything in her vagina or if someone else did. She said no...then she said she was scared.

I told her it was ok and asked if her tummy hurt. She said it felt like the had to poop (cramps?) but she couldn't. I told her she should take a shower and I was going to run to the store while she was in there (I don't use pads and I'm 6 months pregnant so wouldnt have any anyway).

I got her pads and showed her how to use them. Then we talked more in depth about periods. We had already talked about them some but she had a lot of questions. I just put in a call to the on call pediatrician. I'm waiting for a call back.

I'm completely freaked but trying not to show it bc my baby is freaked enough.

I didn't expect room have to show my girls how to take care of their period this young.

I hope the pediatrician calls back soon...

UPDATE:

The pediatrician called and basically said there is nothing we can do right now. He wants me to bring her in monday for an exam just to verify its her period and not a broken hymen. He doesnt think thats actually the issue and considering her previous symptoms it most likely is her period but he said its better to be safe then sorry.

I asked him about a referral to an endochronologist and he said we will discuss it on monday.

For now i sent the kids, except Azaria to bed. Azaria is sitting on the couch with her blanket and some hot cocoa. I gave her some tylenol because she was complaining her tummy hurts. Im not pushing her to talk but i am letting her stay up a bit late in case she does.

ETA:

my daughter is severely allergic to milk (not the same as lactose intolerance) so she has been on soy and rice milk since infancy (other than breast milk which I had to be on a non dairy diet for her to have). I'm only pointing this out to stop the debate on whether or not hormones in milk products caused this.

I'm not saying whether the hormones in milk can or can't cause puberty at a younger age. I won't get into that debate. All I'm saying is that's not the case with Azaria. Thank you for the advice though.

Update:

Well, she saw the pediatrician today. He confirmed it is indeed her period and that her hymen is fine. He did make the referral to an Endochronoligist and also requested an abdominal (uterine) ultrasound because he is worried her flow is too heavy. He did an iron check (with the finger prick) and it came back a bit low (10.7). He said it could be normal because she is on her period but gave me a prescription for iron supplements that she should take for the next week. He wants to see her again next Monday to make sure her period has stopped and that her iron is back up to normal (at least a 12.5). He did forewarn me that the endo appt probably won't be for at least another month. They are going to call when the appt is made.

As for Azaria, she is holding up ok. She is still getting the hang of using a pad. I'm having a hard time finding one that will fit in her panties and be absorbent enough to hold her over for more than an hour at a time. Anyone have any suggestions?

She has not been more emotional than usual but does complain about some cramping and that her "boobies hurt". I asked the Dr. what I should give her because the Tylenol only works short term and he suggested to try the children's Motrin instead. I've also been giving her heat packs for both the cramps and the breast tenderness.

I also asked about the possibility that the soy milk was causing it but he didn't know the answer. He said it's definitely a question I should ask the endo. For now though, I've taken her off and now she's just getting the rice and almond milks.

I want to thank you all for the kind words and support in this very confusing time. Hopefully we will be getting some answers soon.

by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM
oh my.. I have a 7 year old DD and I cant imagine. Hugs to you guys
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piercedbeauty21
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM
7 moms liked this

Poor thing :( Hope she isn't too freaked out. Sounds like you're doing a good job at keeping her calm and informed. Good job Momma ((hugs))

Mommy2b2many
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Oh wow! I would be freaked out too :( If you change her meds will her period stop?

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM

That is terrible. I am so sorry for her and for you. My DD is 7, I can't even imagine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:41 PM

OMG, that has got to be stressful for you both! Why did the doctor xray her wrist? 

proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Wow so young :( my oldest is almost 7 so now I'm scared lol.
Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM

My 8 year old (9 in September) just started getting the little boob knots and that hes me freaked out. I can't imagine at 7

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM
7 moms liked this

Why I only buy organic milk.

cshepard
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Poor girl! My daughter got hers at 10 and I thought that was really young.
twade26
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

That sucks, poor baby. I know she is scared. I wasn't ready for my period when I got it at 11, I cannot imagine getting it at 7.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)