Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hate this argument in a tip debate.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 108 Replies
2 moms liked this

Do you people even KNOW the laws? 

Just like any other job on the planet, if you dont like your pay, get another job, or suck it up. 

But it is FEDERAL LAW that min wage must be made.

And if it the law is not followed, you have some choices. Fight your boss in court. Quit your job and find a better job. Or quit bitching about it because you dont want to do anything about it. 

Minimum Wage

A portion of the minimum wage for a waitress comes from tips. Under federal law, her employer can pay a reduced wage of $2.13 per hour, provided that the reduced wage plus her tips meet or exceed what she would have earned at full minimum wage. For example, if a waitress works eight hours, the federal minimum wage is $58. If her employer pays $2.13 per hour, or $17.04, she must earn at least $40.96 in tips to earn a minimum of $58. If she earns less than $40.96 in tips, her employer must increase her hourly rate so that she earns at least $58.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
got2monsters
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:09 AM
2 moms liked this
I didn't know that, but it would've been helpful to know when I was waiting tables.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Looks like she'll make at least minimum wage at the end of the day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Ok
daftricochet
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Out of respect, you should pay about 15%-20% tip. The only exception would be if the service was especially terrible. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this
She chose the job she needs to either do it right or get a job that doesnt rely on tips. I'm not going to pay you if you arent doing it right. Either suck it up or get a new job.
emandab
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Yeah and good luck finding an employer that will actually pay you the difference.  It doesn't happen.  If you get stiffed by assholes, they still go by your sales.  So if your sales say you SHOULD have earned a certain amount you still have to report that you did, otherwise you can kiss your job goodbye if you try to fight it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:11 AM
I worked at a restaurant for 4 years and know this is not true.
emandab
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Not true.

Quoting Anonymous:

Looks like she'll make at least minimum wage at the end of the day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Exactly. Our restaurant went by projected tips, not actual tips.

Quoting emandab:

Yeah and good luck finding an employer that will actually pay you the difference.  It doesn't happen.  If you get stiffed by assholes, they still go by your sales.  So if your sales say you SHOULD have earned a certain amount you still have to report that you did, otherwise you can kiss your job goodbye if you try to fight it.

EAzizM
by Erica on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Haha. Yea, that is BS.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)