Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just wondering.... race

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this
In your opinion

How much of a race do you have to have in you to identify as said race? How do you decide what to be identified by?

Meaning George Zimmerman is mostly Hispanic but everyone says he is white

President Obama is black and Hawaiian but he's the first BLACK president.

The only "black" queen of England had one black ancestor 500 yrs before she was born.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:32 AM

George Zimmerman is Perubian and American. More Indian than Hispanic or white. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it matters when people want it to matter. We all usually have multiple ancestries that we can claim when it works to our advantage. If I want to go out and get drunk on st Patrick's day, well I need to because I'm Irish. Obama doesn't care if Hawaiians vote for him...he wants black people to vote for him because they make up a much larger portion of voters. And so on and so forth. If a white person had killed George Zimmerman, it would be a racial problem because he was Hispanic.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Either way, that doesnt answer the question

Quoting GOBryan:

TaughtTot
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Im half black and half white (french, german irish)

I identify as black, because at the end of the day that is what people see me as

If they care to ask, because often people will think Im hispanic, I will break down my ethnicities, but that's how I choose.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Thanks for your input

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it matters when people want it to matter. We all usually have multiple ancestries that we can claim when it works to our advantage. If I want to go out and get drunk on st Patrick's day, well I need to because I'm Irish. Obama doesn't care if Hawaiians vote for him...he wants black people to vote for him because they make up a much larger portion of voters. And so on and so forth. If a white person had killed George Zimmerman, it would be a racial problem because he was Hispanic.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Depends on how they identify I guess.
My kids are white and middle eastern.
DD does and always has identified as middle eastern, she sees herself and all of us as Arabic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM
So you feel skin color has a lot to do with it?

Quoting TaughtTot:

Im half black and half white (french, german irish)

I identify as black, because at the end of the day that is what people see me as

If they care to ask, because often people will think Im hispanic, I will break down my ethnicities, but that's how I choose.

GOBryan
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Race is supposed to be based on mom's heritage BUT the reality is that it's more based on what one looks like. Zimmerman's mom is Peruvian and Dad is white. He looks Peruvian/Indian. That's what they will really look like. 

Obama looks black. Even if mom was white. End of story. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Either way, that doesnt answer the question

Quoting GOBryan:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:41 AM

this  black and white  CRAP  should STOP...we are or  should be equal  but  for whatever the reason, the black population has the upper hand  WHY// because they are BLACK...WRONG....Zimmerman  defended himself, was he right??or wrong   ?? no-one will really know  expect the 2 involved, Martin was probably a troubled teen and looked for trouble, if Martin killed Zimmerman  in the BLACKs eyes that would be OK... people should look past the RACISM  and get along...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I think many people are confused by the difference between ethnicity and race.  Hispanic is an ethnicity. Hispanics can be white, black, American Indian or mixed.  

Zimmerman's father was white.  His mother is Peruvian.  Here is the racial breakdown of Peruvians:

Amerindian 45%, mestizo 37%, white 15%, black, Japanese, Chinese, and other 3%

(mestizo means mixed)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN