Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When you are calling this GZ case racist... what do you mean?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM
  • 14 Replies

Do you mean the women on the jury are racist, or do you mean the country as a whole is racist?

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TaughtTot
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I mean Florida has a fucked up system that is protecting a killer...and it seems very racist.  Trayvon was a "threat" because he was a black male wearing a hoodie at night, I mean, this is crazy.  I wear hoodies at night all of the time.  I'm not a threat unless you try to do something to me, until then, I mind my own.

I live in CA so this wouldn't even be as HUGE as this because GZ would already be in prison on second degree murder, possibly aggravated assault, and definitely stalking/harassing a minor. 

IDGAF about skin color.  IDGAF about background prior to the murder.  IGAF about a grown man killing a kid for no apparent reason. 

**Lethal force shouldn't be used unless your life is in imminent danger, I fully agree with the laws my state has, we have them for a reason. Because psychotics like GZ are out there. 

britadams10
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM
3 moms liked this

it's racist because zimmerman is "white"

white my ass! if you saw him walking down the street, you would automatically think he's mexican.

but that's right, blacks are the only race discriminated against.

ridiculous. I can't even count how many times I've been called a cracker or white trash by other races.

If it were a black man that shot a white kid. It wouldn't have even made the media. of course.

GOBryan
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM

The reason he was found not guilty is because the media got involved making it a high profile case and they proved there wasn't enough evidence. It's the same all over the U.S. 

If the media wasn't involved, the outcome may have been different because all the court cares about is convicting most of the time and if the person doesn't have money to fight, they usually lose. Making this high profile gave it a sense of fairness based on the laws that it's about facts and evidence, not speculation. 

Quoting TaughtTot:

I mean Florida has a fucked up system that is protecting a killer...and it seems very racist.  Trayvon was a "threat" because he was a black male wearing a hoodie at night, I mean, this is crazy.  I wear hoodies at night all of the time.  I'm not a threat unless you try to do something to me, until then, I mind my own.

I live in CA so this wouldn't even be as HUGE as this because GZ would already be in prison on second degree murder, possibly aggravated assault, and definitely stalking/harassing a minor. 

IDGAF about skin color.  IDGAF about background prior to the murder.  IGAF about a grown man killing a kid for no apparent reason. 

**Lethal force shouldn't be used unless your life is in imminent danger, I fully agree with the laws my state has, we have them for a reason. Because psychotics like GZ are out there. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM
The media turned it into a white vs black thing.

TaughtTot
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM

He would already be in prison, lets not kid ourselves

Quoting britadams10:

white my ass! if you saw him walking down the street, you would automatically think he's mexican.

ridiculous. I can't even count how many times I've been called a cracker or white trash by other races.

If it were a black man that shot a white kid. It wouldn't have even made the media. of course.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Exactly. I'm sure there have been other cases just like this one that had the same jury outcome, just not the media coverage.

Quoting GOBryan:

The reason he was found not guilty is because the media got involved making it a high profile case and they proved there wasn't enough evidence. It's the same all over the U.S. 

If the media wasn't involved, the outcome may have been different because all the court cares about is convicting most of the time and if the person doesn't have money to fight, they usually lose. Making this high profile gave it a sense of fairness based on the laws that it's about facts and evidence, not speculation. 

Quoting TaughtTot:

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, every person probably has a slightly different reason for calling this case 'racist'.

And I think that the case may indeed have a racist component, but it's almost impossible to prove anything about the case for sure - including if its peculiar course was influenced by the race of the people involved.  

IF you are assuming Martin was at fault, you are doing so due to an internal bias.  

The TROUBLE with the case is, the SAME is true if you are assuming Zimmerman was at fault.

There simply was not enough information given to the media to warrant EITHER conclusion.

Take the expert on gun shots.   

He's been an expert on many things.   Review his work history.

There ARE people who are quite sure that Zimmerman was acquitted because of THAT ONE MAN.   He is charismatic, and by God, whether he is or not, he SOUNDS like an expert.   

When he said he got all his expertise on gunshot wounds by shooting live animals, I would have liked to ask him where he got them all.   People's back yards?   What kind of animals were they?

It was my impression that MOST of gunshot forensics came out of shooting materials engineered to mimic the human body in dimensions, density, etc.   

I might have also asked, yes, this is 'consistent with Zimmerman's version of what happened', but couldn't the clothing being away from the chest happen when the gun was shot for many other reasons?  Like due to Zimmerman pulling on his clothing or Martin stumbling?   Is crouching above someone the ONLY way any clothing ever gets 4 inches from a person's body?   

Who was the first aggressor?   Is that such a big deal?

Not really.   The entire course of the fight is much, much more important.   I can throw a first punch at you and you can blow me away and STILL be doing the wrong thing, or even, something very illegal.

There were, in fact, very troubling indications at first, that the case wouldn't be examined sufficiently.   

Some felt that was about race.   What would have happened if a black man shot the gun and a white man died?

This isn't exactly a question that lacks historical validity.

One in law enforcement said he was  fired for not being more eager to prosecute.  We already know that in such situations law enforcement has incredible pressure applied.  Often by two opposing sides, all at once.

Questioning if that pressure - or internal bias inside law enforcement - could mean mistakes were made, ALSO does not lack historical validity.   

Other complaints were made about the transfer of information on phone calls.

There were a LOT of problems with this case.   The defense flubbed up from the first moment but still seemed to prevail.

There are TWO cased where that can happen.

1. There just is insufficient evidence - ANY defense team would 'prevail'.

2. Something is rotten in Denmark (meaning, the wrong decisions are being made due to internal bias).

When you all say, 'he was a black kid in the wrong neighborhood, looking for trouble', you're not only showing internal bias, you're ignoring facts.   Yes, that was a 'gated community' but it was a very diverse community and a black person walking down the street at any time of day was not unusual.

If Zimmerman's defense team now goes out and has all sorts of highly compensated speaking enggements, interviews and books, I'll be about as ready to barf as when Casey Anthony's lawyer got interviewed.

Even during THIS case, he was put up as a 'legal expert' commenting on the case on TV.

I about barfed.   

As I said, there are TWO ways to win a case, one is by legal brilliance, and the other is because the other side ain't got nothin'.

LectioDivina
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Quoting MissmeMissme:

You guys.. there was not enough evidence for 2nd degree murder!!! Do you NOT understand what MURDER 2 is?? Hello, read a fucking book or something!!!

Do you know what evidence is needed for murder 2 ?

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Or the police would have just shot him on site.

Quoting TaughtTot:

He would already be in prison, lets not kid ourselves

Quoting britadams10:

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I mean that GZ followed trayvon because he was a black man.

If he was following a woman. This all would have went down so differently.

Maybe GZ was a rapist stalking his prey and Travon was defending himself against a rapist?

but we don't think of it that way.. because Trayvon was a black man.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN