Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can't rent with a Pit Bull. *update added pic*

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 226 Replies

We've had so much trouble trying to find a place to rent. My boyfriend has a beautiful red nose pit bull. Landlords don't even give us half a second after they find out we have a pit. It is really annoying. For those of you with pit bulls that rent how do you get around it? Or is there some resource for pitbull owners? 

Please help. We are not going to get rid of her. She is just as much apart of this family as the kids are. 

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
purplepersian
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

It's hard because of home owners insurance rates. You just have to keep trying.

kris1stbaby
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Is she full pit? When we got ours in Denver they labled him as a different breed because they weren't even allowed in the city. Maybe talk to your vet and see if they can change his breed on their papers to help??

PookiePanda
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM

There are some places that allow any pets,you can look for one of those. I have a pit and have always taken her with when going to look at an apartment to show how sweet she is,she is totally hand trained and old though so she doesn't really give a damn.lol

xoxRachelxox
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Sorry, I don't have a pit. 

My niece has one and it was hard for them to find a place as well. They did eventually find an apartment complex that allowed ALL dogs so they moved there of course. 

It's really not fair. 

aimlee
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM

where we used to live they said no pitbulls but there was about 50 of them. my neighbor said she told them the dog was a "terrier".. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
💩
MDWife12
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Have you tried the humane society website? We refer people with dogs to the human society website - it will usually have a list of apartments/rental properties that will accept dogs and if there are any restrictions or not :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Can you get insurance so if the dog happened to hurt someone, it would be covered, and show proof of insurance to a prospective landlord? Have your lawyer draw up some kind of paper saying you'd take full responsibility if an incident occurs?

Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
A lot of insurance places won't cover if a pit lives there, that's why the owners won't rent to you. I called around to find myself a place to rent and asked about having my dog. She's a boxer. They said she was "iffy" because she's a bully breed. They said they will not allow pits, rotts, Akitas, or wolf hybrids. Their insurance will not cover it. Just the way it goes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)