Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Episcopalians, question about baptism. Help is settle a debate

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM
  • 6 Replies
When your baptize your child doesn't the god parents have to be episcopal and don't they have to take classes, along with the parents?

Is that the official church route or would that be depending on each individual church?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Leobaby2007
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Well, I had my son baptized Catholic and the godparents had to be Catholic, but did not have to go to classes with us.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM
I know Catholics require the godparents to be catholic but my SO says they don't have to be but I could've sworn they do

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Well, I had my son baptized Catholic and the godparents had to be Catholic, but did not have to go to classes with us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annas_momma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM
When I was baptized, my parents didn't have godparents picked out for me. My grandfather was the one who preformed te ceremony for them. It's all on video, and so cute.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM
BUMP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leobaby2007
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:01 PM
I just remember wanting to ask my brother and SIL to be godparents, but I couldn't because she was never baptized, and was raised as an atheist.

My good friend in TX had her girls baptized in the Episcopal Church, and I know the godparents did not have to attend classes.

This is a good question. It also might depend on the parish, and their specific rules.

Quoting Roxygurl:

I know Catholics require the godparents to be catholic but my SO says they don't have to be but I could've sworn they do

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Catholics only require one godparent to be catholic and they must have a written letter from their church. We're catholic, both my kids were baptized catholic and only one of my second daughters godparents is catholic. The one catholic godparent had to provide a letter from her church.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN