Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

has anyone noticed

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
an over breeding of pitbulls? in my area there are sooooo many and they are so abundant, and no one wants them! so they all end up in shelters. its sad really! and i dont mean like stray cats that breed, i mean like these people are purposely breeding them for money!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Replies (31-40):
mrsbrand
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM
That could be. Growing up in the southwest I think pretty much all of the dogs looked lime pits or pit mixes and now living in the Midwest there's like none.

Quoting Anonymous:

i cant remember the last time i saw one that didnt! i think its all about where you are living as well!

Quoting mrsbrand:

I can't remember the last time I saw a dog in person that looked like it even had any mix of pit in it.

fallenstars
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM
I gave a puppy away on Cl (it was a stray we took in) because we needed to give it a home. It's sad what the people said people were wanting for puppies on there.

Quoting Anonymous:

yeah but if thy have a cat thats a even pure bred its a free give away! i dont fall for them

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

Yah... I don't believe those posts; they are in it for the money.

Quoting Anonymous:

yeah idk why, you ever go on craigslist and see how much some people charbge for any animal honestly? i see mutts on there going for 600 bucks for a rehoming fee! i can see covering shots and vet visits but god damn! its all about making a profit from your "pet"  you hear alot of "im moving and i cant take her, im so sad"  and alot of "i need to find a really good home for my pit, she needs to be out by tomorrow a small rehoming fee of 500 dollars please"  i feel bad for the pet not the person at all! i would NEVER sell my pets for that much idc how much family they are, you dont sell your kids. why sell your pets that you consider kids or so you say! 

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

I know!! And people buy them!! Thats the insane part!

Quoting Anonymous:

i got my pure bred blue pit for 50 dollars, some people sell them for like 500 bcks thats insane!

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

Yah. I don't understand people who pay money for "purebreed" pitbulls (or chihuahas for that matter); our county has dozens of them in the shelter. 75% of the dog population is either Pits; Amstaffs or Chis. A friend of mine paid $400 for a "pure bred fawn" pitbull... wtf.... I got my "Purebred Fawn Pitbull" at the shelter for $75; and he was already trained.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xoxRachelxox
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Well, how the hell are they making money if nobody is buying them? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM

like i said idk i know mine had dna done and we have papers!  maybe these people are just saying it i cant speak for them! but i know if they are in a shelter around here they do a dna test so that confirms it for them!

Quoting AliKatAK47:

No. Most of the time when I see someone advertising "Pit Bulls". They are either 1)those overgrown mongrels or 2) mixed breed dogs with big heads. I was looking for an APBT breeder for a year and could only find hippo breeders.  I haven't seen a true APBT in a long time. I have one but even she is not to standard because of that one ear. My Pit mix could pass off as a pure APBT but DNA says he's mixed with Staffy. People wouldn't know an APBT if it bit them on the nose but they are breeding random mutts and labeling them 'Pit Bulls' or 'pitbulls' as many of you spell it.  Only time I see them is when the ASPCA breaks up fighting rings and then, those dogs are killed. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Did you try a shelter? I got my APBT from a shelter; they constantly had them there.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

No. Most of the time when I see someone advertising "Pit Bulls". They are either 1)those overgrown mongrels or 2) mixed breed dogs with big heads. I was looking for an APBT breeder for a year and could only find hippo breeders.  I haven't seen a true APBT in a long time. I have one but even she is not to standard because of that one ear. My Pit mix could pass off as a pure APBT but DNA says he's mixed with Staffy. People wouldn't know an APBT if it bit them on the nose but they are breeding random mutts and labeling them 'Pit Bulls' or 'pitbulls' as many of you spell it.  Only time I see them is when the ASPCA breaks up fighting rings and then, those dogs are killed. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM

thats the point, they end up in shelters

Quoting xoxRachelxox:

Well, how the hell are they making money if nobody is buying them? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:56 PM

My area, the only dogs you'll find in the shelter are pits. It's sad. :(

CelestialSong
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Yes. They are everywhere in my area, along with pit mixes. Except they're not really bred for money because they are so abundant that people need to keep undercutting prices. So people get a pit bull puppy because it's cheap, with no means or intention to get it fixed (my area is generally very low income), so it inevitably ends up pregnant or impregnating someone else's dog, and the cycle continues. In the shelters around here, they have to implement programs and special benefits for people who adopt pit bulls because they're overrun - discounted adoption fees, free obedience classes, etc. There are also programs for free spaying and neutering for people who didn't adopt, because otherwise people just wouldn't get it done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM

my husband is from the caralinas and they have so many pits down there bc they use them from fighting, they do here to but not as much!  he says the difference is alot actually, even though i see them all the time here, he says that its nothing like down there

Quoting mrsbrand:

That could be. Growing up in the southwest I think pretty much all of the dogs looked lime pits or pit mixes and now living in the Midwest there's like none.

Quoting Anonymous:

i cant remember the last time i saw one that didnt! i think its all about where you are living as well!

Quoting mrsbrand:

I can't remember the last time I saw a dog in person that looked like it even had any mix of pit in it.

Mommy2b2many
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Lol I have a purebred APBT; even got his Dna done lol. I get compliments on him and people ask for my breeders name... I just stare at them... why go to a breeder for a dog that is in every pound across america??

Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

Yep.  :(  I adopted a chi from our shelter.  $40, already neutered, vaccinated, and housebroken.  Not a yapper by any stretch.  Nice little guy. 

I live in CA and have walked him through Napa (land of pretension) and had people stop to comment on how cute he is and had groups of college aged girls all "He should be in movies!" lol  And then they ask where I got him, and I'm like.... "The Yuba pound" and they're all O.o  OMG.

LOL

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

I know!! And people buy them!! Thats the insane part!

Quoting Anonymous:

i got my pure bred blue pit for 50 dollars, some people sell them for like 500 bcks thats insane!

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

Yah. I don't understand people who pay money for "purebreed" pitbulls (or chihuahas for that matter); our county has dozens of them in the shelter. 75% of the dog population is either Pits; Amstaffs or Chis. A friend of mine paid $400 for a "pure bred fawn" pitbull... wtf.... I got my "Purebred Fawn Pitbull" at the shelter for $75; and he was already trained.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN