Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I got a 5 day notice today. *edit. this is what the notice says. * another edit

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM
  • 262 Replies
My Landlord just handed my husband a 5 day eviction notice. We have til the 19th to be out. I don't know what to do. :(. My job screwed up in the timekeeping department, so I never got my check this month so we couldn't pay rent on time. Dh payed him in full today and he handed him the letter. I don't know what to do, or where to go.
Evoction: this is a five day eviction notice. we reserve the right under our lease agreement and Minnesota law to issue this notice. we have given you until 1 p.m. on the 19th of July to have this unit clean and all your personal belongings out. we will begin to advertise and show this unit on Monday the 15th of July. if you fail to move and clean this unit you will be taken to court and pay all costs associated with this process. thank you.

I added.a pic of the notice on page 10. Dh also called the landlord and he said he's filing with the court in Monday and it was "clearly stated in the lease if we were late we have 5 days to vacate". Must not have been too clear. I re-looked at the lease, and it does not state that anywhere.
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM
4 moms liked this

for one, i would stop payment on that check ASAP

edit to add - OP said they paid cash :/

seraphimsong
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you talked to you landlord about what happened? Most are willing to work with you of they know the reason you didn't pay on time wasn't your fault.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM
8 moms liked this
That is illegal and your landlord knows it. You have tenant rights that take longer than 5 days to tear down.
Islandmom2boys
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:44 PM
This. No need in paying rent if you have to be out in 5 days.

Quoting Anonymous:

for one, i would stop payment on that check ASAP

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Um, check with the courts if it is a legally filed eviction. Usually they have to file through the courts to evict someone have you served by the sheriffs office then you have , at least here in my county 7 days to respond. Them it goes to court to go before a judge.
NoSammich4You
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Is it a pay or quit notice?
boshs1andonly
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM

with my old apartment you got a notice to appear in court if you didn't pay by the 5th. and those dates were usually a couple of weeks away. i agree with pp, look into it more because i don't think he can legally kick you out in 5 days 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:47 PM
2 moms liked this

evictions take at least 30 days 

mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Are you in a lease or month to month?

If you are in a lease do not leave without a formal eviction.
FireCoyote
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Last time I checked a landlord had to give you a thirty day notice?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured