Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Gifts for Kids Who Like Horses

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM
  • 68 Replies
So, my ds really likes horses and I am starting to think about birthday and Yule/Christmas gifts for him. He is too young for riding lessons (he will be turning 2). He has a small rocking horse, but is outgrowing it, so he may get a spring horse to replace "Clip Clop." But I am also looking for some smaller horse figures or something for him. His sister has my old She-Ra action figures and their horses and he constantly steals the horses. I was thinking of Breyer horses, but they are expensive at 15-18 dollars per horse and he is not gentle with his toys. Those may need to wait until he can take better care of them. Any suggestions for less expensive horse related toys?
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sheellyyo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:21 PM

My dd is 10 and we have been buying her Bryer Horses since she was 2.  They are a bit expensive but worth the money.  They also have a good resale value.  Also the farm sets you can get at your local feed stores.  Atwoods.com or amazon.com are good places to find horse stuff.  I am getting dd a horse backpack from Amazon for School.  Something different from what the other kids will have.  We like unique things. 

sheellyyo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Sorry missed the last part of your post somehow.  Try the playsets.  They come with the tractors, barns, cowboys, fences, horses

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Fold-Mini-Barn/dp/B001QBTAOY/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&qid=1373840631&sr=8-48&keywords=horse+playsets

xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Mobile Photo

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:27 PM
We like unique things as well. Breyer horses are such a great classic toy. I didn't get mine until I was 4. Did they hold up well with your dd as a toddler? Ds is so rough with this sometimes, in afraid he will damage them. We're teaching him, but it isn't something kids learn over night.

Quoting sheellyyo:

My dd is 10 and we have been buying her Bryer Horses since she was 2.  They are a bit expensive but worth the money.  They also have a good resale value.  Also the farm sets you can get at your local feed stores.  Atwoods.com or amazon.com are good places to find horse stuff.  I am getting dd a horse backpack from Amazon for School.  Something different from what the other kids will have.  We like unique things. 

Billsbabygirl
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Schleich are a brand I uses to buy my daughter. They are much more durable then breyers which is what she collects now. Also I teach riding lessons. Two is not at all to young. The younger the better. At that age they can learn balance and posture very well.
ceciliam
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I got my first Breyer horse when I was 3 years old, back in 1976. I still have it and have been collecting them, ever since I was 3 years old. They are a lot sturdier than you think. I collect the traditional sizes and they usually range in the $30.00 and higher category.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM

clothing

tiniowien
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I got mine my little ponys but..she is a girl so bright pink, purple.blue. Yellow ponys lol later she will get some of the horses from Breyer; mine are still in good shape and waiting.

i got mine starting at age 3, black beauty is still in one piece 23 years later, I just use some home made hair detangler on the manes and tails.

tiniowien
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM

The also have these without wheels. So just the stick pony type I got DDs at the dollar tree 

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Mobile Photo

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I collect breyers horse and I would not recommend them for a child that age.  you might get him some of the cheaper plastic horses that have "real manes"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN