Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm putting a leash on my kid

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:00 AM
  • 532 Replies
7 moms liked this
This is a pretty hot debate on other sites, but I haven't seen much mention here. Apologies if it starts a shit storm, I'm just curious what you very opinionated moms think.

My ds is 6 months old and already very active and curious. Of course I will teach him to stay close to us, but I have a feeling for at least a short time we'll need a "child leash". I am of the opinion that they are wonderful parenting tools for the time when a child is still learning not to stray from mom and dad. I don't think they are humiliating at all. Some people feel it's treating a child like a dog. Well, yes lol. You don't leash a dog to be mean, you do it so they don't run off and get hurt. I'm just very curious if I'll get comments in public. No one here uses them, and their kids run around as they please, destroying merchandise and hurting themselves.

So, what do you think of "child leashes"? To be clear, I'm speaking of the current version, which is a harnessed backpack with a tether on it.
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Christy644
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:01 AM
10 moms liked this

i think anything to help keep a child safer is a good thing. 

missmamaof4
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:04 AM
16 moms liked this

i rather have a kid on leash then get kidnapped or hurt

myempyreofdirt
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Agreed. With all the weirdos out there I'm not taking any chances. They learn to stay with you eventually. It's that darn toddler stage you have to muddle through lol.

Quoting Christy644:

i think anything to help keep a child safer is a good thing. 

rphardwick
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I did not use them with my 2 older children but man oh did I wish I had one a lot of times.  I can already see that I will be purchasing some for the twins, they are 1 and already give me a run for my money ... 2+ should about kill me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:10 AM
I support you. I don't have one for my ds (he is 16 mo.) Because I haven't felt that I need one. But, if it was for his safety, I wouldn't hesitate.

on a side note....I saw a mother with her two children at an indoor kids play thing....enclosed....no way of wandering away....and she had her son (who looked to be at least 10) on one of those. At one point she even had her daughter (who appeared to be younger) walking him around. I realize that there could have been a situation that i wasn't aware of....like a disability or maybe he is big for his age or something....but I was sitting right next to them and the boy seemed like a normal kid....not even unruly or anything. I don't know....I support them when they are needed but that situation left me speechless.
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Older son didn't need it much, he was one to stay by an adult's side.  DS2 however needed it everywhere.  He was a darter and liked to run in front of cars :/ 

Sure - I could have put him in the stroller or cart but then he would scream.  I could carry him, but when you picked him up, he would go "dead weight".  Not fun. 

This is the child who once screamed "You are not my mommy!" while kicking and hitting me when it was time to leave a store.  I just wish I had him wearing the leash when he did it because then there would have been a few less stares, kwim?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM
We used one with both of our boys. They loved the thing and I was able to do things like take them shopping by myself or to busy festivals without having to worry that they would wander away from me because they were distracted by something. With a few months of use they learned to stay right with us so we didn't need it much anymore. They however wanted to wear it still and would then carry the leash end themselves. With our youngest we have been wearing her in an Ergo instead. I tried the backpack leash with her on a field trip for her brother's class and she wanted held the whole time she had it on so we don't use it with her.
quinnsmom715
by Donna on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM
3 moms liked this

my son is autistic.when he was younger,his sensory issues meant holding my hand was not something he wanted to do.the backpacks gives the kids freedom to walk instead of being stuck in a stroller and keeps them near you..

faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM
18 moms liked this

Perhaps you should try, I don't know...paying attention to them?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM
I never had a need for one, ds was never one to stray, even at a very young age. Even at 5 1/2...he holds my hand 99% of the time while we are out. So idk, I wouldn't use one and know a lot of people in my area who look down on them but do what ya gotta do. Can't worry about what others think.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)