Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What have you seen parents do when they're on vacation with their kids that annoys you?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 139 Replies

7 Things I Judge Parents For When They're Vacationing With Their Kids

by Kristen Chase

7 annoying things parents do with their kids on vacationI realize that actually enjoying a family vacation can be a challenge, and so some parents are inclined to do things they wouldn't normally do just to get a moment's peace.

But then I wonder if that's really the case or if they're just that annoying all the time. Thankfully, I only have to deal with those parents and their kids for a short amount of time, because some of the stuff they do, or worse, let their kids do, wow, what a nightmare.

1. Junk food. So I'm all for sweets and treats because hey, it's vacation and all, but when you're giving your kids cokes in the morning and spray cheese for lunch every single day, something is very wrong. How about some fruit and vegetables every now and then?

2. Shopping frenzy. Vacations are expensive enough, so I don't really get the rationale of buying your kids whatever they want in every single store, especially if they are misbehaving or whining. I suppose it wouldn't be so bad except my kids see it happening and then wonder why I'm not dropping hundreds of dollars on them.

3. Waiting in line. My kids love rides like the next kid, but when the lines are long, my husband and I split up or just skip them altogether because it's tough for a kid to stand there for an hour (if not more) in the heat. I never quite understood why people would do that to themselves and their kids. Sorry, no roller coaster or ropes course is worth it.

4. Safety, anyone? I'm always surprised when parents just let their kids roam freely at the pool and the beach, especially when there are no lifeguards. I'm all for letting kids be kids, but when there's water involved, I turn into the helicopter parent for very good reason.

5. Staying up too late. I can't tell you how many times I see kids up waaaaay past a reasonable bedtime. Maybe your kids sleep until 10am if they stay up until midnight (or beyond), but mine certainly don't. And if I'm out on an adults-only date late in the evening, the last thing I want is for kids to be running around me.

6. Ignoring them. I thought the whole idea behind a family vacation was that you spend time with your family, so when I see parents completely ignoring their kids, particularly those who are trying to get their attention (and then annoying the other people around them in the process), I get pretty frustrated.

7. Fighting. Maybe it's the lack of sleep, the poor diet, or the ridiculous amount of booze they're drinking, but I see way too many parents duking it out in public. Seriously people, go somewhere private to have your fights.

What have you seen parents do when they're on vacation with their kids that annoys you?

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM
5 moms liked this

We went to Disney last year

I was SOOOOOOOOO  annoyed at the number of parents who gave their kids electronics to keep them distracted in line.... what is the point of going on a family vacation if they are going to spend half of their time with their faces in a gadget?

MrsMiles85
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM
6 moms liked this

Honestly not a whole lot I have seen that irritated me.  It's a vacation, it's a time to cut loose.  Let your kids eat crap and let them run around like crazy children.  Within common sense of course.  In lalaland when your child is acting like a brat, that irritates me.  Other than that, lets have some fun.

KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM
3 moms liked this

Usually what annoys me the most is parents that let their kids (little kids too- like ages 3 to about 8) run around the hotel (alone) at night playing elevator tag, running the hallways, etc. with no parents in sight. 

LovlyRita
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM
I can't say, but I know we annoyed people when we went to Australia a few years ago. People gave us dirty looks just for stepping on the tour bus with a toddler.
smurfbitebug
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM
21 moms liked this
Well I guess parents can't catch a break no matter where they go or what they do. Even on vacation where petty garbage like allowing them to have spray cheese on a cracker because it isn't a battle will get you judged.
I guess even in a town where nobody knows your name they still know enough about you to know they can be you better.
Koltie6
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:03 AM
8 moms liked this
Don't worry about what others are doing . Life's too short.
umm.yeah
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM

We go camping for vacation and it never ceases to amaze me that parents are cool with young children just wandering over to someone else's site and plopping down by their fire.  But then I guess that goes hand in hand with the whole ignoring the kids mentioned in the article.

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:05 AM
I am on vacation right now, with my teenager, and I am seeing a lot of those mentioned going on right now, lol Yes, I know I am on cm, it is downtime and just waiting to go on our next adventure.
Morticiah
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM
16 moms liked this

I'm a working parent. My summers are a time for me and my son to spend time together. Right now we're about to go to EuroDisney. If you bump into us you will see: 

1.) Us eating junk food like crazy cavemen

2.) Us staying up late- My kiddo is four and it's hard for me to get him tired out. I have a lot of energy as well. We love to walk around the city or stay up in our hotel room and watch movies until we go to sleep.

3.) Both of us shopping and me buying him things. We both have an appreciation of souveniors. We both love buying new things and if we are on vacation then I will definitely be treating him.

If other parents judge me- I'm okay with that :) I'll bet we'll be having the most fun. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM
7 moms liked this
When we go on vacation we go to have a great time. We don't eat much junk. We do stay up late. We buy our kids lots of things. It is our vacation and we want to enjoy it. I don't care if we are judged. I think we can do what we want for a week or two a year. Some people should do the same and stop being judgemental on vacation. That annoys me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)