Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"'Oklahoma-style' t-storms for Saskatchewan today "Likely will be the most violent storms in N. America, possibly the world."

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM
  • 76 Replies

STORM WATCH: 'Oklahoma style' t-storms expected in Saskatchewan, chief meteorologist warns

Staff writers

Monday, July 15, 2013, 3:10 PM -

TWN STORM WATCH: Tune into The Weather Network on TV as we continue to bring you the latest updates on Monday's thunderstorm risk.

Stormy looking clouds in Regina Sunday. Courtesy: Ian Barredo

Stormy looking clouds in Regina Sunday. Courtesy: Ian Barredo

Severe storms swept through parts of the Prairies over the weekend bringing heavy rain, grapefruit sized hail and possible tornadoes to some places.

Now, the start to the work week is shaping up to be the same.

"'Oklahoma-style' t-storms for Saskatchewan today," The Weather Network's chief meteorologist Chris Scott tweeted Monday morning. "Likely will be the most violent storms in N. America, possibly the world."

The combination of a very unstable moist airmass, daytime heating and a low pressure system moving in from Alberta are creating favourable conditions for severe thunderstorms. 

"The type of storms and storm structure we are expecting will resemble those found in tornado alley/Oklahoma during their active weather season," explains Weather Network meteorologist Dayna Vettese.

"There is a lot of CAPE - the energy needed for storms -  the right balance of sheer - which causes rotation - and a strong trigger for a storm. The set-up we're seeing today is about as good (or as bad) as it gets for severe weather in July in the Canadian Prairies."

"And these thunderstorms are capable of producing tornadoes," adds Doug Gillham, another meteorologist at The Weather Network. "The risk for severe weather will continue through the afternoon and evening hours as the storms continue to push east."

Monday's risk

Monday's risk

A tornado watch was issued for parts of southern Saskatchewan before 8:30 am CST Monday morning and includes main areas like Regina and Saskatoon.

"Use this time to secure outdoor property and to ensure family members and co-workers are prepared to take action should severe weather approach," Environment Canada warns. 

The storms will also have the potential to produce very large hail, flooding rain, deadly lightning and powerful winds.

D.O.E. ~ proud mother to 4 wonderful boys, happily married small town girl from Saskatchewan, Canada

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
D.O.E.
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM

i am sitting right smack dab in the middle of this.

Delee just called from Holdfast, thethunder and hail storm just hit there

D.O.E.
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM

BUMP!

Pokemon_Lover
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Stay safe!! It's pouring buckets here and we had a thunderstorm last night but nothing compared to this.
lucydiamond
by LD on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM
I'm in AB and the hail was so big this morning it sounded like a gang was trying to break in.
D.O.E.
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:20 PM

this sounds really dire, does it not?

highlandmum
by Spunky on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Stay safe.  I saw this on the weather channel, it looks like all of South Eastern Saskatchewan is effected by this.

D.O.E.
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM

wtf is going on  with this weather? maybe mom is right. maybe HAARP really is fucking with us.

this isnt typical prairie weather. typical is hot and dry.

Quoting lucydiamond:

I'm in AB and the hail was so big this morning it sounded like a gang was trying to break in.

D.O.E.
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM

i suppose i should turn off netflix

Quoting highlandmum:

Stay safe.  I saw this on the weather channel, it looks like all of South Eastern Saskatchewan is effected by this.

sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Stay safe!! I grew up in Nebraska. Storms like this are no joke. Seek shelter as soon as you deem necessary
thetrollcat
by Meow on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM

scary meow

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)