Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I took his car away

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
2 moms liked this

DS son was pulled over with a friend in his car. I got a $300 ticket for it because he is 17 so in the state I am legally responsible for all tickets/accidents he gets into. He didn't see the big deal and shruged it off. So I took the car away. He will not be able get it back until he pays for the ticket plus interest and shows that he is responsible enough to drive. He also lost all phone privlages until further notice and is grounded for the next 3 weeks at the least. 

$300 isn't much but it shouldnt have happened in the first place. We have been living paycheck to paycheck since my DHs hours got cut at work so it has just been really difficult. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:49 PM
I think you did the right thing.

Tell him he's lucky to drive, my children cannot drive until they are 18.
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM
How fast was he going that it's 300 bucks. Here in most places that would be fast enough to seriously hurt someone.
kagegirl
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Wow, yeah. I think your discipline was spot on. Good job., momma

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Good for you.

umm.yeah
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I would have done the same thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:54 PM

He wasn't speeding. It is illegal for someone under 18 to be driving in our city with anyone in the car that is not family. They pulled him over because there were two teens in the car. 

Quoting Hanab818:

How fast was he going that it's 300 bucks. Here in most places that would be fast enough to seriously hurt someone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Must be in the air, my son's ticket was $300 too. Did the same thing.

mouthymandy
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you!

He needs to see this as a big deal.  I think it was a super decision to make him pay you back before he drives again.  Just carry through and don't waffle.

God bless,

Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:56 PM
What? That is the dumbest law EVER. And I would have done the same. He knows the law but he broke it anyway.

Quoting Anonymous:

He wasn't speeding. It is illegal for someone under 18 to be driving in our city with anyone in the car that is not family. They pulled him over because there were two teens in the car. 

Quoting Hanab818:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM

he knew better, you did the right thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)