Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Interesting take on religion...

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM
  • 72 Replies
5 moms liked this

What do people think? Is this true?  I would love to hear from religious folks as well as non religious!

“If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again.”

-Penn from Penn & Teller

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, people always have to have something. Even if our memories were wiped out this very second, we would have a form of religion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Yep.

mouthymandy
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I accepted Baptism within the Church of England on my 18th birthday.  I am as devout as I ever was.  I listen for God's words first thing in the morning when I slowly become awake.  God guides and protects me.

I agree with every word that you quoted of Penn Jillette.  Those are my sentiments.  I dispair at what passes for religion.

God bless,

DusterMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:21 PM
100% true.
LectioDivina
by A.Priori on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I disagree.

I believe in the collective unconscious, past lives, and the ability to hold information important to your soul from them.

rgba
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Do you think it would resemble any current or past religion in particular? (Obviously your answer to this depends very much on whether you are a devout follower of a religion!)

Quoting AllofFive19:

Yes, people always have to have something. Even if our memories were wiped out this very second, we would have a form of religion.

rgba
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:28 PM

What pieces would be reestablished, in your view? Or is that unknowable? Or different for everyone?

I have a hard time grasping what it is you believe--would love to hear more...

Quoting LectioDivina:

I disagree.

I believe in the collective unconscious, past lives, and the ability to hold information important to your soul from them.

rgba
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:30 PM

So do you think there are any basic tenets of your religion that would still exist?

In Penn's view, I imagine this would be the end of the Bible.  Do you support that idea? Or do you think the Bible would be recreatable because of some inherent truth?

Quoting mouthymandy:

I accepted Baptism within the Church of England on my 18th birthday.  I am as devout as I ever was.  I listen for God's words first thing in the morning when I slowly become awake.  God guides and protects me.

I agree with every word that you quoted of Penn Jillette.  Those are my sentiments.  I dispair at what passes for religion.

God bless,

bekalynne440
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Well I don't think religion could ever be wiped out, and I'm not the greatest with unrealistic hypotheticals.

I don't think science would be the same. I think ideas widely excepted now would be better challenged, and some would probably be found wrong.
LittleBirdFly
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I agree with that. Just look around the the world, even people who have never heard of the Bible believe in something, some other gods.

Quoting AllofFive19:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured