Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I signed the papers to have my son emancipated

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 16 almost 17 year old son has been out of control. He has no respect for me, dh, or his siblings. He has snuck out of the house to many times to count. He has smoked pot in our house, stolen are alcohol (we later locked it all up when we found out), sneaking girls to fool around with, and even stole money from us. About a week ago he left without telling us. DH and I discussed what we needed to do. We decided that if he wants us to treat him like an adult (let him do whatever he wants whenever he wants to) he can have adult responsibilities. When he came back from his "vacations" we showed him the emancipation papers. We called a notary person (not sure correct term for them lol) and had him sign and we signed. We filed it the next morning and were seen by a judge later that day. We helped him pack his stuff into his truck and sent him on his way.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Where did he go? Does he have a job? A car???
I don't really blame you. We just went thru this with our 16 year old. In the end, he went to live with his dad-same person who introduced him to drugs and absolutely encouraged it. We even had to have my son committed because he spun out of control too fast with his drug use and violence.
I'm sorry mama. Teens are just a mess:(
KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Wow.... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Nice....I'm sure you'll be so proud of yourself when you haven't seen him in a month and then he ends up dead. Oh, parenting a teen is hard? Just give up and cut your responsibilities short right?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:43 PM

He has a job and a car. I am not sure where he went probably back to where he was when he left. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Where did he go? Does he have a job? A car???
I don't really blame you. We just went thru this with our 16 year old. In the end, he went to live with his dad-same person who introduced him to drugs and absolutely encouraged it. We even had to have my son committed because he spun out of control too fast with his drug use and violence.
I'm sorry mama. Teens are just a mess:(

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I know it couldn't have been easy on you.  I hope it ends up being the bset thing for your family.

Unfortunately, in this country the laws are taking more and more power away from parents, leaving them with so few options, and none of them feeling like they are really going to help.  At almost 17, legally he could leave and you couldn't call him a runaway.  But if he got caught with pot in YOUR house, you'd stand to lose custody of your other children!  How can the laws say "This person has all these rights, but you are responsible still if they do something stupid?"

Did you make sure he knew you still loved him?  Did you offer any help?  Does he have a place to go?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM

That could happen whether he was living her or not. He i leaving whenever he wants to anyway doing what he wants to do. He has even climbed down from his 3 story window just to leave in the middle of the night. 

He has a job. He already graduated from high school. Even though he makes a lot of stupid decision he is good in school and is commited to his job. He is starting college classes in the fall. I really think he will do better on his own after he gets used to how much it really costs. I would let him come back if and only if he agreed to follow ALL our rules but I doubt that will happen. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Nice....I'm sure you'll be so proud of yourself when you haven't seen him in a month and then he ends up dead. Oh, parenting a teen is hard? Just give up and cut your responsibilities short right?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM

We contacted the police the first couple times that he just left. After awhile they said there was not much they could do except put charges on US. 

I was very worried about what would happen with my other children. We could lose custody. We have 8 month old twins and we cant risk that. 

He knows we love him and he is still texting us but we havent seen him since. His brothers birthday is this weekend and he is going to come to the party. 

We didn't give him any  help and we have no clue where he is going probably back to where he was staying when he left 

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I know it couldn't have been easy on you.  I hope it ends up being the bset thing for your family.

Unfortunately, in this country the laws are taking more and more power away from parents, leaving them with so few options, and none of them feeling like they are really going to help.  At almost 17, legally he could leave and you couldn't call him a runaway.  But if he got caught with pot in YOUR house, you'd stand to lose custody of your other children!  How can the laws say "This person has all these rights, but you are responsible still if they do something stupid?"

Did you make sure he knew you still loved him?  Did you offer any help?  Does he have a place to go?

Verrine
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I hope that you and his father are dealing with this the same way. Often times, one parent will feel more sorry for the child and be slipping him money without the other parent knowing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:55 PM

We talked about several different options. I am more of the one that feels bad for him but I am trying to be strong. I realized that his behavior is NOT going to change and it is going to be a constant struggle with him until he was 18. His dad is a truck driver and on the road a lot so everything comes down on me. I can't physically stop him from leaving. He has never hurt me but he will just walk right passed me and leave. It isn't as easy and just saying "you need to stay here you can't leave" because he just does it anyway. 

We agreed that he needs to be on his own period. No help from us. He needs a wake up call 

Quoting Verrine:

I hope that you and his father are dealing with this the same way. Often times, one parent will feel more sorry for the child and be slipping him money without the other parent knowing.

jobo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM

You did the right thing.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)