Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What we did then vs what you do now

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:51 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son slept with a blanket in a crib with a bumper.

I put him to sleep on his side

He started solid foods at four months

Was forward facing at 12 months

Was out of a booster at 4

My how recommendations change.lol
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrossStitchMum
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:54 AM

lol. Australia has only just passed the law that they have to stay in a booster until 7. We have to ff at 6 months :)

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:54 AM
My dd is only 6 and my only kid so I have no stories.

But I remember riding around in the car with no seat belts as a kid.....good times!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Times change, people get smarter, people get more stupid.

When you KNOW better, you DO better.
3boys1girl32
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:57 AM
Quoting KendallsMommee:

But I remember riding around in the car with no seat belts as a kid.....good times!

Me too and in the back of my dad's pick up lol
sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:57 AM
I remember riding in the "trunk" of my moms station wagon lol. Rolling all over the place. Fun times.

Quoting KendallsMommee:

sexysiren1983
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:58 AM

well i'm 29 and my daughter is 5, so I'll just compare myself to her instead.

I sat in the front seat as a "special treat for being good" at age 4, no carseat, just seatbelt.

my parents put me to sleep on my stomach as a newborn bc they were afraid it'd make my head flat if they didn't. this was 1983. 

I slept alone beginning when i first got home from the hospital, in my own room that my older brother then 3 shared.

I had colic and GERD but didn't get any special formula or medicine, just had to cry all the time while my parents had to grin and bear it.

I didn't have a cell phone in middle school.

I walked to and from school everyday beginning age 9.

I walked around the neighb orhood with my older brother and his friends unaccompanied by our parents and we'd come back on our own. Sometimes my parents would call their houses and tell them to tell us to come.

I went to parks a block or so from my house  alone at age 8. I liked it actually and nothing happened to me. this was around 1991.

GrinningCheese
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:00 AM

LOL My friend and I were talking about this today and how ridiculous these 'new' mothers are following advice from doctor's who need a map to find their behinds. Like I've always said you need to go with your gut as a mom because NO the doctor's don't know everything and yeah sometimes they're idiots. I don't know how many times their 'advice' to me or my sister (I swear our peds must've been related lol) drove us batty trying to follow it. I've always gone with my gut because I know my kid and ds's still alive and kicking.  Hell my niece was on table food around 4/5 months old. Once she had the taste she didn't want no baby foods. We just modified it for her with no salt, sugars and so forth but she loved it.

laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:00 AM

When I was having babies. you were given a little blue book and in that book was a prescription for paragoric and a recipe to make cough syrup with either whisky lemon and honey or paragoric, lemon and honey.

You were told to put babies on their tummies until my last child.

GrinningCheese
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Quoting CrossStitchMum:

lol. Australia has only just passed the law that they have to stay in a booster until 7. We have to ff at 6 months :)

You have to face foward at 6 months lol. Look for the 'mothers' post where she's squishing her poor 4 YEAR old into a rear facing seat because she's too stupid to turn it around. She says she likes it. Yeah sitting in the middle facing a seat. Mother needs a knock on the head lol.
kameka
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:03 AM
Curious- why do you have to?

Quoting CrossStitchMum:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)