Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do some people get offended by the word "ignorant"?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:29 AM
  • 21 Replies

What about this word makes you get upset, if you get upset about it?

I will use the word in a sentence against myself...

"I am ignorant to the reasons of why people get upset about getting called ignorant about a topic,"

ignorant simply means lacking knowledge

There is, to me at least, a difference between ignorant and stupid.  The assumption as to why I think people get offended about being called ignorant is because they think of it as they think of the word 'stupid'.

Right or wrong???

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QuirkyMom26
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Correct

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:31 AM
It has a negative connotation to it and people are quick to get defensive. Combine those two and you might as well be calling someone stupid. That's just my take on it.
TaughtTot
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:36 AM

Maybe this is why people get defensive with me.  I just use the word in it's literal meaning.

Quoting Anonymous:

It has a negative connotation to it and people are quick to get defensive. Combine those two and you might as well be calling someone stupid. That's just my take on it.

Grumpylilpixy
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Wait, you just tried to EDUCATE or what you call EDUCATE the WHITE WOMEN on AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMEN.  But you want to call people "IGNORANT"?

TaughtTot
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:45 AM

You assumed that was aimed at white people, it was aimed to the general person.

Also, I did not try to educate you on African American Women. lol I stated the reason why there is so much ignorance about "us" as a topic is because it is not a topic touched on much in school.  

Our education system is not as diversified as our nation.  I see that as a problem.  

Does ignorant mean lacking knowledge or not?  Please clear it up.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Wait, you just tried to EDUCATE or what you call EDUCATE the WHITE WOMEN on AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMEN.  But you want to call people "IGNORANT"?

Grumpylilpixy
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:49 AM

So you are suggesting as I thought in your last response that the EDUCATIONAL system should educate the community about Hair,black baby daddy's and so forth? I am really confused because we know history of the AA history. SO what is it that we are not educated by.

I am going to bed as it is 3am here. But respond. I will respond back.

Clearly... What is it that you think we are not educated on about the AA people that we should be in the EDUCATIONAL system.

I am in college and I don't know if I would take a class on this. As there isn't one to educate us on other subjects about other racis.

Quoting TaughtTot:

Also, I did not try to educate you on African American Women. lol I stated the reason why there is so much ignorance about "us" as a topic is because it is not a topic touched on much in school.  

Our education system is not as diversified as our nation.  I see that as a problem.  

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

I am a friend, a wife,a daughter but the best title I have by far is Mother .

unsuspected
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:50 AM
Oh, you're back ... great.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

unsuspected
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:55 AM
Assuming that you have some greater knowledge to impart mixed with your complete lack of understanding on how condescending and hypocritical you sound, I think that's what bugged people. Then you deleted the post leading to further annoyance.

Quoting TaughtTot:

Maybe this is why people get defensive with me.  I just use the word in it's literal meaning.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:11 AM
What are we missing from history exactly? We brought African slaves here, Lincoln freed them, the peanut guy, civil rights stuff, MLK, MLK dies, Obama......

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

So you are suggesting as I thought in your last response that the EDUCATIONAL system should educate the community about Hair,black baby daddy's and so forth? I am really confused because we know history of the AA history. SO what is it that we are not educated by.

I am going to bed as it is 3am here. But respond. I will respond back.

Clearly... What is it that you think we are not educated on about the AA people that we should be in the EDUCATIONAL system.

I am in college and I don't know if I would take a class on this. As there isn't one to educate us on other subjects about other racis.

Quoting TaughtTot:

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)